Don’t forget to sign up as a World Affairs Council member (TNWAC.org/join) to be eligible to win the monthly quiz prize.
LAST WEEK’S QUIZ WINNERS
Joshua Brome, Nashville, TN
David Hillinck, Huntsville, AL
Sam Horner, Nashville, TN
William Sekyi, Nashville, TN
Pete Griffin, Nashville, TN
Wyatt Baxter, Nashville, TN
Yezzie Dospil, Nashville, TN
If you’re a weekly winner you’ll be entered for the monthly prize drawing but you must be a TNWAC member to win. TNWAC.org/join
Volunteers make the World (Affairs Council) go round!
OCTOBER 2019 MONTHLY QUIZ PRIZE WINNER
David Hillinck, Huntsville, AL
“After the Berlin Wall: Memory and the Making of the New Germany, 1989 to the Present”
NOVEMBER 2019 MONTHLY QUIZ PRIZE
The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming
It is worse, much worse, than you think. If your anxiety about global warming is dominated by fears of sea-level rise, you are barely scratching the surface of what terrors are possible—food shortages, refugee emergencies, climate wars and economic devastation.
An “epoch-defining book” (The Guardian) and “this generation’s Silent Spring” (The Washington Post), The Uninhabitable Earth is both a travelogue of the near future and a meditation on how that future will look to those living through it—the ways that warming promises to transform global politics, the meaning of technology and nature in the modern world, the sustainability of capitalism and the trajectory of human progress.
The Uninhabitable Earth is also an impassioned call to action. For just as the world was brought to the brink of catastrophe within the span of a lifetime, the responsibility to avoid it now belongs to a single generation—today’s.
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
We’ll post the answers and the names of the winner(s) in next week’s quiz.
Here’s last week’s questions and answers:
WHAT IN THE WORLD QUIZ
WEEK OF OCT 28-NOV 3, 2019
1. The Assad regime in Damascus welcomed an announcement by the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) that they would do THIS, leading Damascus to call for Turkey to end its “aggression” in northeast Syria.
A. Disavow the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) group
B. Join planned negotiations with the Assad regime, Russia, and Turkey
C. Draft its soldiers into the Syrian Arab Army
D. Withdraw from the Turkish border
Correct Response: D. Withdraw from the Turkish border
2. In a move aimed at punishing the Cuban government for its “ongoing repression of the Cuban people and its support for Nicolas Maduro in Venezuela”, the Trump administration has taken THIS action. Cuban officials strongly condemned the move, arguing that it “strengthened restrictions on… its citizens’ freedoms.”
A. Banned US social media companies from operating in Cuba
B. Cancelled a trade agreement for purchase of Cuban sugar cane
C. Barred US air carriers’ from flying to most airports in Cuba
D. Restricted US cruise operators from stopping at Cuban ports
Correct Response: C. Barred US air carriers’ from flying to most airports in Cuba
3. Chilean President Sebastian Piñera has dismissed his entire cabinet and announced plans to form a new government and introduce social reforms, a response to ongoing protests. More than a million people, at least 5% of the country’s population, have marched in Santiago after THIS sparked protests that have expanded to include wider grievances over inequality and the cost of living.
A. An increase in metro fares
B. The reduction of minimum wage
C. The privatization of Chile’s water supplies
D. A police shooting of an unarmed indigenous woman
Correct Response: A. An increase in metro fares
4. In what he described a “dangerous and daring” nighttime operation, President Trump announced the death of THIS elusive Islamic State leader in a suicide attack during a U.S. military operation in Syria.
A. Abu Omar al-Shishani
B. Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
C. Abu Mohammad al-Adnani
D. Abu Mohammad al-Julani
Correct Response: B. Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
5. The Boris Johnson government has stepped up pressure on Parliament to back THIS, hoping it will break the Brexit impasse as the EU has agreed to another delay from the October 31 deadline.
A. A new Brexit referendum vote
B. An early election
C. A Parliamentary action to remain in the EU
D. An agreement granting more autonomy to Northern Ireland
Correct Response: B. An early election
6. Tens of thousands of protestors in Lebanon have participate in THIS action, symbolizing national unity amidst a civil disobedience campaign against the government. The last few weeks of protests have brought Lebanese young people out to demand an overhaul of the political system in what some have described as the “birth of a Lebanese civic identity.”
A. Hosting a “hug in” at Beirut’s Martyrs’ Square
B. Lining up in the form of the Lebanese flag
C. Holding hands to form a 100+ mile human chain
D. Organizing a ‘RIP Democracy” vigil in Lebanon’s three largest cities
Correct Response: C. Holding hands to form a 100+ mile human chain
7. Shortly after the US special envoy Jim Jeffrey told the House Foreign Affairs Committee that the US believes Turkish-backed opposition forces in Syria have committed war crimes, President Trump announced that he was doing THIS. THIS action also followed Turkey’s agreement that it would halt its attack on Kurdish forces in northeast Syria.
A. Returning US troops to northeast Syria
B. Authorizing strikes against Turkish military forces in southern Turkey
C. Sending a negotiator to sit down with Turkish, Kurdish, and Syrian forces
D. Lifting all sanctions on Turkey
Correct Response: D. Lifting all sanctions on Turkey
8. In a speech accusing China of curtailing “rights and liberties” in Hong Kong, Vice President Mike Pence directed harsh words at American businesses Nike and the National Basketball Association (NBA), stating that they have been doing THIS and kowtowing to the lure of Chinese money and markets.
A. “Checking [their] social conscience at the door.”
B. “Eschewing American values in the pursuit of profits”
C. “Emboldening an authoritarian regime in its restriction of human rights”
D. “Interfering with trade negotiations to enrich themselves”
Correct Response: A. “Checking [their] social conscience at the door.”
9. Societat Civil Catalana, an umbrella group of political parties and civic bodies that want Catalonia to remain part of Spain, staged a demonstration on Sunday that brought tens of thousands of pro-unionist supporters out into the streets of Barcelona. This was in response to pro-independence protests the previous day over the Spanish Supreme Court’s decision to do THIS
A. Remove Catalonia’s Statute of Autonomy
B. Outlaw the flying of the Catalonian flag in public spaces
C. Allow the Spanish government to redistrict voting precincts in Catalonia
D. Imprison separatist leaders involved in the 2017 push for independence
Correct Response: D. Imprison separatist leaders involved in the 2017 push for independence
10. At a three-week synod on environmental issues and the role of women in the Church, Roman Catholic bishops have voted to allow priests in THIS region to be exempt from the centuries-old rule on celibacy. Though the proposal must be backed by Pope Francis first, traditionalists fear a slippery slope could result in married priests throughout the Church.
A. The Amazon
B. North America
D. The Northern Triangle
Correct Response: A. The Amazon
COPYRIGHT 2019, Tennessee World Affairs Council
We need and appreciate your support of
the World Affairs Council.
THANKS TO BELMONT UNIVERSITY’S CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
THANKS TO THE NASHVILLE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS COUNCIL
THANKS TO THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ PARTNERS
THE MISSION of the nonprofit, nonpartisan Tennessee World Affairs Council is to promote international awareness, understanding and connections to enhance the region’s global stature and to prepare Tennesseans to thrive in our increasingly complex and connected world.
THE VISION of the Tennessee World Affairs Council is a well-informed community that thinks critically about the world and the impact of global events.
Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org —