Don’t forget to sign up as a World Affairs Council member (TNWAC.org/join) to be eligible to win the monthly quiz prize.
LAST WEEK’S QUIZ WINNERS
Faith McHan, Lilburn, GA
David Hillinck, Huntsville, AL
Pat Miletich, Nashville, TN
Himanshu Manchanda, Nashville, TN
Charles Bowers, Nashville, TN
Mary Raffety, Nashville, TN
If you’re a weekly winner you’ll be entered for the monthly prize drawing but you must be a TNWAC member to win. TNWAC.org/join
Volunteers make the World (Affairs Council) go round!
MONTHLY QUIZ PRIZE WINNER
FAITH MCHAN, LILBURN, GA
The Silk Roads: A New History of the World
by Peter Frankopan
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
We’ll post the answers and the names of the winner(s) in next week’s quiz.
Here’s last week’s questions and answers:
WHAT IN THE WORLD QUIZ
WEEK OF FEB 24-MAR 1, 2020
1. Last week we learned Russia continues to interfere with U.S. elections and that they favored Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders. In response President Trump fired the Acting Director of National Intelligence, whose organization briefed the Congress on the threat. WHO was the Acting Director of National Intelligence that was fired?
A. Peter O’Hara
B. Joseph Maguire
C. John Brennan
D. Mark Esper
Correct Response: B. Joseph Maguire
2. Global stock markets stumbled on the news of spikes in Coronavirus infection cases in THESE TWO countries as of February 24th.
A. Japan and Finland
B. Italy and South Korea
C. China and Egypt
D. South Korea and Portugal
Correct Response: B. Italy and South Korea
3. President Trump is in India where he is being hosted by President Narendra Modi who was greeted last year by an event in Texas called, “Howdy, Modi.” What is the name of the rally being held for Trump in India?
A. “Welcome Mr. President”
B. “India-America Partners”
C. “Susvaagatam Donald”
D. “Namaste Trump”
Correct Response: D. “Namaste Trump”
4. The worst outbreak of THIS phenomenon in about 70 years is underway in East Africa.
Correct Response: A. Locusts
5. What TWO COUNTRIES are negotiating on how to stop the violence that has broken out in the Idlib region of northern Syria that is threatening an enormous humanitarian catastrophe?
A. Syria and Iraq
B. Turkey and Russia
C. United States and Syria
D. Iran and Syria
Correct Response: B. Turkey and Russia
6. The internationally recognized government of THIS COUNTRY took a hard line position regarding Khalifa Haftar, a renegade commander during peace talks in Switzerland.
A. South Sudan
B. Burkina Faso
7. Prosecutors in Bulgaria charged three Russians in an attempted murder case in which three Bulgarians were poisoned in a manner similar to the 2018 nerve-agent attack on former Russian intelligence officer Sergei Skirpal in THIS COUNTRY. The attack was a startling transgression by Russian agents operating in a NATO nation.
C. United Kingdom
Correct Response: C. United Kingdom
8. A diplomatic spat has erupted from Russia over rules for settlement in Svalbaard, an island in the increasingly contentious Arctic region. Svalbaard is part of THIS COUNTRY.
9. A statement by European and British officials at a meeting of finance ministers and central bankers said, ““We need to give the highest priority to finding global solutions to address the taxation of the digital economy…” They were meeting in THIS COUNTRY which will host the 2020 summit of the Group of Twenty (G-20).
B. Saudi Arabia
Correct Response: B. Saudi Arabia
10. Robert O’Brien, National Security Advisor to President Trump pushed back against U.S. Intelligence Community findings that THIS was occurring despite reports that it had been briefed to Congress. Last week Trump fired the Director of National Intelligence in response to the finding.
A. Russia is interfering in the 2020 presidential campaigns on behalf of President Trump.
B. North Korea had successfully coupled a thermo-nuclear warhead with a missile capable of reaching the U.S. homeland.
C. Iran’s 2019 economic situation showed a 2.4% rate of GDP growth despite the U.S. “Maximum Pressure” campaign.
D. China’s President Xi Jinping’s communication to North Korea’s Kim Jong-Un was intercepted which said Beijing did not intend to keep its Phase I trade promises.
Correct Response: A. Russia is interfering in the 2020 presidential campaigns on behalf of President Trump.
COPYRIGHT 2020, Tennessee World Affairs Council
We need and appreciate your support of
the World Affairs Council.
THANKS TO BELMONT UNIVERSITY’S CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
THANKS TO THE NASHVILLE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS COUNCIL
THANKS TO THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ PARTNERS
THE MISSION of the nonprofit, nonpartisan Tennessee World Affairs Council is to promote international awareness, understanding and connections to enhance the region’s global stature and to prepare Tennesseans to thrive in our increasingly complex and connected world.
THE VISION of the Tennessee World Affairs Council is a well-informed community that thinks critically about the world and the impact of global events.
Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org —