Don’t forget to sign up as a World Affairs Council member (TNWAC.org/join) to be eligible to win the monthly quiz prize.
LAST WEEK’S QUIZ WINNERS
Jacob Williams, Franklin, TN
Chirayu Salgarkar, Lawrenceville, GA
Pete Griffen, Nashville, TN
If you’re a weekly winner you’ll be entered for the monthly prize drawing but you must be a TNWAC member to win. TNWAC.org/join
Volunteers make the World (Affairs Council) go round!
FEBRUARY 2020 MONTHLY QUIZ PRIZE
The Silk Roads: A New History of the World
by Peter Frankopan
Far more than a history of the Silk Roads, this book is truly a revelatory new history of the world, promising to destabilize notions of where we come from and where we are headed next. From the Middle East and its political instability to China and its economic rise, the vast region stretching eastward from the Balkans across the steppe and South Asia has been thrust into the global spotlight in recent years. Frankopan teaches us that to understand what is at stake for the cities and nations built on these intricate trade routes, we must first understand their astounding pasts.
Frankopan realigns our understanding of the world, pointing us eastward. It was on the Silk Roads that East and West first encountered each other through trade and conquest, leading to the spread of ideas, cultures and religions. From the rise and fall of empires to the spread of Buddhism and the advent of Christianity and Islam, right up to the great wars of the twentieth century—this book shows how the fate of the West has always been inextricably linked to the East.
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
We’ll post the answers and the names of the winner(s) in next week’s quiz.
Here’s last week’s questions and answers:
WHAT IN THE WORLD QUIZ
WEEK OF FEB 17-23, 2020
1. The United States and THIS group reached agreement in principle for a week-long reduction of attacks in advance of a settlement in the nearly two decade conflict in Afghanistan.
A. Al Qaeda
D. Al Shabab
2. The Coronavirus has affected THIS country, the world’s third largest economy, most outside China. This quarter’s economic performance is expected to show virus-related damage and recession worries. Meanwhile a cruise ship loaded with 3,700 virus quarantine passengers is docked in THIS country with shipboard cases of infection reaching 400 over the weekend.
3. “America’s ‘maximum pressure’ toward Iran is doomed to failure … our enemy (the United States) is very well aware that their pressure is inefficient,” said THIS President of Iran. He added that Tehran would never negotiate with Washington while the pressure campaign continued.
A. Hassan Rouhani
B. Sayyid Ali Hosseini Khamenei
C. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
D. Mohammad Javad Zarif
Correct Response: A. Hassan Rouhani
4. The Nord Stream 2 natural gas pipeline will not be completed according to U.S. Energy Secretary Dan Brouillette who talked about American sanctions and continuing opposition that would derail the project. Nord Stream 2 is intended to provide gas from Siberia to THIS country.
B. United Kingdom
Correct Response: D. Germany
5. The World Health Organization assigned THIS name to the Coronavirus which broke out in Wuhan, China, but chose a name that did not reference people, places or animals to avoid assigning blame.
Correct Response: A. Covid-19
6. A major global security conference attracted senior government figures from around the world over the weekend to contemplate the state of defense relationships in the West. Secretary of State Pompeo said the “West was winning” while French President Macron called for Europeans to deal with Russia on its own. The theme of THIS conference was “Westlessness.”
A. The Glasgow Conference
B. Munich Security Conference
C. Brussels Conference on Western Security
D. NATO Ministerial 2020
Correct Response: B. Munich Security Conference
7. An interview with Democratic presidential nomination candidates showed that only Pete Buttigieg could name the President of Mexico while candidates Steyer and Klobuchar could not. Can you name THIS President?
A. Andrés Manuel López Obrador
B. Enrique Pena Nieto
C. Felipe Calderon
D. Vincente Fox
Correct Response: A. Andrés Manuel López Obrador
8. The former President of Sudan, Omar al-Bashir, was in the news last week as his country indicated support for THIS.
A. Voting to grant Bashir a new term of office.
B. Indicting the former President for corruption and violating the constitution when he mounted a coup.
C. Surrendering Bashir to the International Criminal Court to face genocide charges.
D. Announcing a life-time ban on participation in Sudan politics.
Correct Response: C. Surrendering Bashir to the International Criminal Court to face genocide charges.
9. Israeli Prime Minister has been lobbying friendly countries to file a brief with THIS international body supporting the claim that Palestinians don’t have standing for the opening of a case of alleged war crimes.
A. World Court
B. International Criminal Court
C. Geneva Tribunal
D. UN Security Council Tribunal
Correct Response: B. International Criminal Court
10. THIS Gulf state is poised to become the first Arab nation with nuclear power plants as the country’s regulatory agency approved operation of the Barakah power plant.
COPYRIGHT 2020, Tennessee World Affairs Council
We need and appreciate your support of
the World Affairs Council.
THANKS TO BELMONT UNIVERSITY’S CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
THANKS TO THE NASHVILLE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS COUNCIL
THANKS TO THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ PARTNERS
THE MISSION of the nonprofit, nonpartisan Tennessee World Affairs Council is to promote international awareness, understanding and connections to enhance the region’s global stature and to prepare Tennesseans to thrive in our increasingly complex and connected world.
THE VISION of the Tennessee World Affairs Council is a well-informed community that thinks critically about the world and the impact of global events.
Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org —