Check your global affairs awareness with these ten questions taken from the week’s news reports provided via @TNWAC #TNWACquiz.
The only rule is to use the ‘honor system.’
Click on image for Quiz
QUIZ WINNERS FROM LAST WEEK
Terry Rustan, Franklin, TN
David Hillinck, Huntsville, TN
Elaine Loughlin, Nashville, TN
Charles Bowers, Nashville, TN
Pratik Yedla, Nashville, TN
MAY “WHAT IN THE WORLD?” QUIZ PRIZE
COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME AND MUSEUM NASHVILLE
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
We’ll post the answers and the names of the winner(s) in next week’s quiz.
Here’s last week’s questions and answers:
WHAT IN THE WORLD? QUIZ
Week of May 21-27, 2017
1. Donald Trump has begun his first trip abroad as President. Where is he going?
A. Saudi Arabia, Israel, Russia, Belgium, Vatican
B. Saudi Arabia, Israel, France, Vatican, Italy
C. Saudi Arabia, Israel, Germany, Italy, France
D. Saudi Arabia, Israel, Vatican, Belgium, Italy
Correct Answer: D. Saudi Arabia, Israel, Vatican, Belgium, Italy
2. On the first stop of his overseas trip President Trump met with Saudi Arabian officials including its monarch who is:
A. King Abdullah
B. King Mohammed
C. King Salman
D. King Faisal
Correct Answer: C. King Salman
3. President Trump’s meetings in Riyadh included a session with leaders of over 50 Muslim majority countries. He also met with leaders from the Gulf Cooperation Council which includes which six states?
A. Saudi Arabia, Iran, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Oman
B. Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Kuwait
C. Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, Yemen, Bahrain
D. Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Oman
Correct Answer: D. Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Oman
4. Iran voters went to the polls Saturday to vote for a president. They gave a landslide victory to:
A. Ayatollah Ali Khamenei
B. Hassan Rouhani
C. Ebrahim Raisi
D. Mohammad Khatami
Correct Answer: B. Hassan Rouhani
5. Montenegro will move closer to the West this week when it becomes the 29th member of this group.
Correct Answer: C. NATO
6. THIS newly elected President of France will host Russian President Vladimir Putin at the palace at Versailles on May 29th to mark 300 years of Franco-Russian diplomatic relations, despite evidence of Russian interference in the recent presidential campaign.
A. Marine LePen
B. Francois Hollande
C. Emmanuel Macron
D. Francois Fillon
Correct Answer: C. Emmanuel Macron
7. Turkey’s President Tayyip Recep Erdogan’s visit to Washington to meet President Trump was marred by:
A. President Trump’s public call for humanitarian treatment of Turkish protestors
B. Billboards in Washington advertising a movie about Armenian genocide
C. An EU foreign ministers’ declaration against a crackdown on dissent in Turkey
D. A brawl between the Turkish security detail and protestors
Correct Answer: D. A brawl between the Turkish security detail and protestors
8. Reuters said American authorities are concerned about reports of THIS country possessing an inventory of 5,000 Russian-made MANPADS (shoulder-fired surface to air missiles) which posed a threat to military and commercial aircraft. The inventory is believed to have been acquired during the rule of Hugo Chavez who worried about a U.S. military intervention during his 1999-2013 presidency.
Correct Answer: B. Venezuela
9. North Korea tested an intermediate range ballistic missile on Sunday and announced that it was ready to move to missile mass-production. The continued belligerence from Pyongyang is said to undercut prospects for peace talks between the North and this newly elected South Korean President:
A. President Park Geun-hye
B. President Kim Jung-un
C. President Moon Jae-in
D. President Kim Dae-jung
Correct Answer: C. President Moon Jae-in
10. An American espionage network in THIS country was reportedly broken with as many as 20 CIA sources killed or imprisoned.
D. North Korea
Correct Answer: B. China
We need and appreciate your support of
the World Affairs Council.
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER @TNWAC
THANKS TO THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ PARTNERS
THANKS TO THE SPONSORS OF THE TENNESSEE
ACADEMIC WORLDQUEST PROGRAM – FEDEX
The Tennessee World Affairs Council is a nonprofit (501c3), nonpartisan educational charity based in Nashville that works to build understanding of global issues in our communities. Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org —