Don’t forget to sign up as a World Affairs Council member (TNWAC.org/join) to be eligible to win the monthly quiz prize.
***Link to Quiz***
QUIZ WINNERS FROM LAST WEEK\
Patricia Miletich, Nashville, TN
Brandon Darr, Bangkok, Thailand
David Hillinck, Huntsville, AL
Charles Bowers, Nashville, TN
If you’re a weekly winner you’ll be entered for the monthly prize drawing but you must be a TNWAC member to win. TNWAC.org/join
Volunteers make the World (Affairs Council) go round!
MAY 2019 MONTHLY QUIZ PRIZE
The Hundred-Year Marathon: China’s Secret Strategy to Replace America as the Global Superpower
One of the U.S. government’s leading China experts reveals the hidden strategy fueling that country’s rise – and how Americans have been seduced into helping China overtake us as the world’s leading superpower.
For more than forty years, the United States has played an indispensable role helping the Chinese government build a booming economy, develop its scientific and military capabilities, and take its place on the world stage, in the belief that China’s rise will bring us cooperation, diplomacy, and free trade. But what if the “China Dream” is to replace us, just as America replaced the British Empire, without firing a shot?
Based on interviews with Chinese defectors and newly declassified, previously undisclosed national security documents, The Hundred-Year Marathon reveals China’s secret strategy to supplant the United States as the world’s dominant power, and to do so by 2049, the one-hundredth anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic. Michael Pillsbury, a fluent Mandarin speaker who has served in senior national security positions in the U.S. government since the days of Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger, draws on his decades of contact with the “hawks” in China’s military and intelligence agencies and translates their documents, speeches, and books to show how the teachings of traditional Chinese statecraft underpin their actions. He offers an inside look at how the Chinese really view America and its leaders – as barbarians who will be the architects of their own demise.
Pillsbury also explains how the U.S. government has helped – sometimes unwittingly and sometimes deliberately – to make this “China Dream” come true, and he calls for the United States to implement a new, more competitive strategy toward China as it really is, and not as we might wish it to be. The Hundred-Year Marathon is a wake-up call as we face the greatest national security challenge of the twenty-first century.
About Michael Pillsbury
Senior Fellow and Director for Chinese Strategy Michael Pillsbury is a distinguished defense policy adviser, former high-ranking government official, and author of numerous books and reports on China. During the Reagan administration, Pillsbury was Assistant Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Planning and responsible for implementation of the program of covert aid known as the Reagan Doctrine. In 1975-76, while an analyst at the RANDCorporation, Pillsbury published articles in Foreign Policy and International Security recommending that the United States establish intelligence and military ties with China. The proposal, publicly commended by Ronald Reagan, Henry Kissinger, and James Schlesinger, later became U.S. policy during the Carter and Reagan administrations.
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
We’ll post the answers and the names of the winner(s) in next week’s quiz.
Here’s last week’s questions and answers:
WHAT IN THE WORLD QUIZ
WEEK OF May 6-12, 2019
1. Juan Guido is recognized as President of Venezuela by over 50 countries. What was his official position prior to claiming the title as head of the government?
A. Defense Minister
B. Mayor of Caracas
C. President of the National Assembly
D. Ambassador to the United States
Correct Response: C. President of the National Assembly
2. President Xi Jinping of China hosted a forum on THIS topic which attracted over 5,000 delegates and at which over $64 billion of new deals were signed.
A. China’s defense industry export forum
B. Belt and road project forum
C. East Asian free trade forum
D. The new “Silk Road” forum
Correct Response: B. Belt and road project forum
3. Protestors took to the streets in Paris for the 25th consecutive weekend of anti-government protests following violent demonstrations on May day. The protests, which began in response to high fuel prices evolved into demonstrations against politicians and the government more generally, are known as THIS.
A. Yellow vests
B. Third wave
C. Paris compact
D. Moving labor forward
Correct Response: A. Yellow vests
4. King Maha Vajiralongkorn of THIS country assumed the thrown left vacant by the death of King Bhumibol Adulyadej in 2016, touching off three days of celebration.
Correct Response: C. Thailand
5. After President Trump spoke with Russian President Vladimir Putin last week he said he believed Russia was not seeking to be involved in THIS situation, counter to earlier charges by Secretary of State Pompeo and National Security Advisor Bolton who accuse Moscow of interference.
B. Oil sales to Iran
Correct Response: C. Venezuela
6. The accession of Emperor Naruhito to the throne in Japan opened THIS era on the calendar.
Correct Response: D. Reiwa
7. Last week a U.S. Defense Department official said China was detaining as many as three million Muslims in concentration camps in THIS autonomous region and Secretary of State Pompeo said the situation was ”reminiscent of the 1930s.” Journalists have reported the area is experiencing martial-law conditions including police checkpoints and mass DNA collection.
Correct Response: C. Xinjiang
8. President Trump was said to be consulting advisors last week about designating THIS organization as a terrorist group, which critics claimed could be a move to go after Muslim organizations in the United States.
A. Organization of Islamic States
B. Muslim Brotherhood
C. Council of Islamic Groups
D. International Islamic Network
Correct Response: B. Muslim Brotherhood
9. THIS activity in North Korea on Saturday demonstrated Pyongyang’s pessimism over stalled talks with the United States.
A. Infiltration of special forces across the DMZ
B. Operation of mini-subs in South Korean waters
C. Launching a volley of “projectiles” off North Korea’s east coast
D. Provocative sorties from North Korean bomber bases
Correct Response: C. Launching a volley of “projectiles” off North Korea’s east coast
10. Iran’s oil minister warned that OPEC was likely to collapse when some members committed to support THIS action last week.
A. U.S. ending sanctions waivers to China, India and other countries on Iranian oil
B. Blockade of Iranian oil shipments through the Strait of Hormuz
C. Ending oil market transaction in U.S. dollars
D. Boycott Venezuela’s participation in the upcoming OPEC summit in Vienna
Correct Response: A. U.S. ending sanctions waivers to China, India and other countries on Iranian oil
COPYRIGHT 2019, Tennessee World Affairs Council
We need and appreciate your support of
the World Affairs Council.
THANKS TO BELMONT UNIVERSITY’S CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
THANKS TO THE NASHVILLE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS COUNCIL
THANKS TO THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ PARTNERS
THE MISSION of the nonprofit, nonpartisan Tennessee World Affairs Council is to promote international awareness, understanding and connections to enhance the region’s global stature and to prepare Tennesseans to thrive in our increasingly complex and connected world.
THE VISION of the Tennessee World Affairs Council is a well-informed community that thinks critically about the world and the impact of global events.
Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org —