Don’t forget to sign up as a World Affairs Council member (TNWAC.org/join) to be eligible to win the monthly quiz prize.
***Alternate Link to Quiz***
QUIZ WINNERS FROM LAST WEEK
David Hillinck, Huntsville, AL
Yezzie Dospil, Nashville, TN
Pratik Yelda, Huntsville, AL
If you’re a weekly winner you’ll be entered for the monthly prize drawing but you must be a TNWAC member to win. TNWAC.org/join
JANUARY 2019 MONTHLY QUIZ PRIZE
Fortune Cookie Chronicles by Jennifer 8. Lee
If you think McDonald’s is the most ubiquitous restaurant experience in America, consider that there are more Chinese restaurants in America than McDonalds, Burger Kings, and Wendy’s combined. Former New York Times reporter and Chinese-American (or American-born Chinese). In her search, Jennifer 8 Lee traces the history of Chinese-American experience through the lens of the food. In a compelling blend of sociology and history, Jenny Lee exposes the indentured servitude Chinese restaurants expect from illegal immigrant chefs, investigates the relationship between Jews and Chinese food, and weaves a personal narrative about her own relationship with Chinese food. The Fortune Cookie Chronicles speaks to the immigrant experience as a whole, and the way it has shaped our country.
TED Talk – “The Hunt for General Two” with Jennifer 8. Lee [Here]
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
We’ll post the answers and the names of the winner(s) in next week’s quiz.
Here’s last week’s questions and answers:
WHAT IN THE WORLD? QUIZ
WEEK OF DEC 31, 2018 – JAN 6, 2019
1. WHAT city hosts one of the earliest New Year’s celebrations with a spectacular fireworks display – the Harbor Light Parade – in front of its famed opera house?
A. Hong Kong
Correct Response: C. Sydney
2. A tsunami on December 23rd killed over 400 people in Indonesia when it struck the coastline in THIS region.
A. Malacca Strait
B. Sunda Strait
C. Hormuz Strait
D. Lombok Strait
3. President Trump’s abrupt announcement he will order withdrawal of U.S. troops from Syria has placed Kurdish residents and militia fighters – who fought alongside Americans against ISIS – at risk of attack from WHOM?
D. All of the above
4. THIS German politician who was recently named leader of the Christian Democrat party with support from Angela Merkel is the likely next Chancellor of the Bundesrepublik Deutschland.
A. Dieter Althaus
B. Ernst-Reinhard Beck
C. Eva Grafin Finck von Finckenstein
D. Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer
Correct Response: D. Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer
5. THIS official recently made this statement: “One core belief I have always held is that our strength as a nation is inextricably linked to the strength of our unique and comprehensive system of alliances and partnerships. While the US remains the indispensable nation in the free world, we cannot protect our interests or serve that role effectively without maintaining strong alliances and showing respect to those allies.”
A. Nikki Haley
B. John Bolton
C. James Mattis
D. Mike Pompeo
Correct Response: C. James Mattis
6. Martial law, imposed on November 25 in parts of Ukraine after Russia captured three Ukrainian ships, expired this past week and is not expected to be extended. Under the law the Ukrainian government banned WHAT?
A. Russian ships from entering Ukrainian waters.
B. Ukrainian citizens of Russian descent from entering government buildings and boosted security at critical sites such as nuclear power stations and Black Sea ports.
C. Russian men of combat age from entering the country and boosted security at critical sites such as nuclear power stations and Black Sea ports.
D. Ukrainian citizens from entering Russia.
Correct Response: C. Russian men of combat age from entering the country and boosted security at critical sites such as nuclear power stations and Black Sea ports.
7. The Taliban has agreed to meet for talks to end fighting in Afghanistan in Saudi Arabia in January. WHO will Taliban representatives meet with?
A. Afghan government officials
B. United States officials
C. United Nations officials
D. All of the above
Correct Response: B. United States officials
8. The senate of this country approved a new ambassador to the United States and for the first time that ambassador is a woman. With her 40 years of experience as a diplomat Martha Bárcena will be in charge of coordinating the bilateral efforts of the newly inaugurated president, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, with the White House. WHAT country will she represent?
Correct Response: D. Martha Bárcena.
9. President Vladimir Putin spoke this week saying that Russia would deploy its first regiment of hypersonic nuclear-capable missiles next year, saying the move meant his country has a new type of strategic weapon capable of hitting most points in the world and evading the U.S ballistic missile defenses. What is the name of the new missile system?
C. Baba Yaga
D. Kamchatka Dagger
Correct Response: B. Avangard
10. WHAT part of the United Kingdom celebrates the New Year Festival of Hogmanay?
D. Northern Ireland
Correct Response: C. Scotland
COPYRIGHT 2018, Tennessee World Affairs Council
We need and appreciate your support of
the World Affairs Council.
THANKS TO BELMONT UNIVERSITY’S CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
THANKS TO THE NASHVILLE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS COUNCIL
THANKS TO THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ PARTNERS
THE MISSION of the nonprofit, nonpartisan Tennessee World Affairs Council is to promote international awareness, understanding and connections to enhance the region’s global stature and to prepare Tennesseans to thrive in our increasingly complex and connected world.
THE VISION of the Tennessee World Affairs Council is a well-informed community that thinks critically about the world and the impact of global events.
Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org —