Don’t forget to sign up as a World Affairs Council member (TNWAC.org/join) to be eligible to win the monthly quiz prize.
***Alternate Link to Quiz***
QUIZ WINNERS FROM LAST WEEK
Pat Miletich, Nashville, TN
Deb Monroe, Cambridgeshire, UK
Ryan Sachs, Nashville, TN
Jane Dillard-Eggers, Brentwood, TN
Charles Bowers, Nashville, TN
If you’re a weekly winner you’ll be entered for the monthly prize drawing but you must be a TNWAC member to win. TNWAC.org/join
COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME
FAMILY MEMBERSHIP FOR ONE YEAR
Includes all of the benefits listed below for TWO named adults and children ages 12 and under in your household plus TWO single-visit admission tickets for guests.
- SKIP THE LINE. Expedited gallery ticketing at the Information and Membership desks
- FREE admission to the Museum galleries and the Taylor Swift Education Center
- FREE admission to hundreds of Museum programs, including weekly songwriter sessions, instrument demonstrations, film screenings, and family activities
- FREE admission to the Poets and Prophets series, honoring legendary songwriters, and the Nashville Cats series, honoring legendary session musicians
- Member exclusive exhibit event and member appreciation concert The Big Gig
- DISCOUNTED tours of Historic RCA Studio B, home of 1,000 hits, and Hatch Show Print, Nashville’s legendary letterpress shop
- 10% DISCOUNT at The Museum Store, Circa, Hatch Show Print retail, and Two Twenty Two
- SUBSCRIPTION to Inside the Circle email newsletter and bi-monthly postcards
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
We’ll post the answers and the names of the winner(s) in next week’s quiz.
Here’s last week’s questions and answers:
WHAT IN THE WORLD? QUIZ
WEEK OF February 18-24, 2019
1. Organizers at THIS premier international security conference expressed alarm at President Trump’s “irritating enthusiasm for strongmen across the globe” and “disdain for international institutions and agreements” in its official report.
A. NATO Ministerial Council
B. Munich Security Conference
C. G-20 Summit in Geneva
D. Davos Security Forum
Correct Response: B. Munich Security Conference
2. India quickly imposed economic sanctions on Pakistan to punish it for the attack claimed by militant group Jaish-e-Mohammad against security forces in THIS Indian-administered region, which has been a long simmering contentious issue between the two nuclear-armed nations.
Correct Response: A. Kashmir
3. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu startled some observers of a U.S. organized conference in Poland when he said Arab and Israeli officials were together to “advance the common interest of war” with THIS country.
Correct Response: C. Iran
4. The U.S. supported Syrian fighters battling ISIS in the last enclave of their self-declared “caliphate” are close to knocking out the remaining militants. Officials from the anti-ISIS coalition warn, however, that ISIS is not finished as a threat. What is ISIS referred to by those using the Arabic acronym?
5. An Energy Department official said Saturday that the United States would not assist Saudi Arabia develop nuclear technology without guarantees it will be used only for civilian purposes. This section of the U.S. Atomic Energy Act, called, “Cooperation With Other Nations,” prohibits routes to making nuclear weapons by banning enrichment of uranium or the reprocessing of plutonium. This provision is called THIS.
A. “Proliferation Prevention Provision”
B. “123 Measure”
C. “Collective Nuclear Prevention Measures”
D. “Nuclear Materials Limitation Provision”
Correct Response: B. “123 Measure”
6. The UK Chancellor’s visit to Beijing to discuss bilateral trade was torpedoed by THIS act.
A. Opposition leaders in Parliament called for reversing “the Return” of Hong Kong in view of China’s violation of the 1997 agreement on autonomy for the territory.
B. Beijing decided to wait for the outcome of EU-UK talks on a Brexit deal before entertaining trade talks with London.
C. Britain’s Defense Minister announced the aircraft carrier HMS Queens Elizabeth would deploy to the Western Pacific.
D. Queen Elizabeth condemned China’s holding of Commonwealth Member Canada’s citizens in retaliation for the Huawei official’s detention.
Correct Response: C. Britain’s Defense Minister announced the aircraft carrier HMS Queens Elizabeth would deploy to the Western Pacific.
7. President Xi of China expressed cautious optimism in trade talks with American officials on Friday. There is a March 1st deadline for an agreement to avoid a raise of tariffs on $200 billion in Chinese goods entering the U.S. from 10 to 25 percent. The Americans meeting with Chinese leaders include the Treasury Secretary and the U.S. Trade Representative. WHO is the U.S. Trade Representative?
A. Wilbur Ross
B. Steve Mnuchin
C. Robert Lighthizer
D. John Bolton
Correct Response: C. Robert Lighthizer
8. This European leader warned the Munich Security Conference the world’s political structures were unraveling, “What we see as an overall architecture underpinning our world as we know it is a bit of a puzzle now; if you like, it has collapsed into many tiny parts.” The plea for renewed multilateralism made by THIS German chancellor was greeted with standing ovations and applause with the notable exceptions of Vice President Mike Pence and Ivanka Trump.
A. Theresa May
B. Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer
C. Alexis Humbrecht
D. Angela Merkel
Correct Response: D. Angela Merkel
9. The United States has launched an aerial campaign of cargo aircraft carrying humanitarian aid to an airfield across the border from Venezuela in THIS COUNTRY. President Maduro continues to block the main roads connecting the countries and has his armed forces on high alert against what he calls “conspiracies and provocations.”
Correct Response: D. Colombia
10. THIS head of the Ploughshares Fund, which seeks to reduce and eliminate nuclear weapons, said last week that, “American policy should be to change regime behavior, not wage war,” in response to U.S. policy toward Iran.
A. Joe Cirincione
B. Barry McCaffrey
C. Richard Haass
D. Ben Rhodes
Correct Response: A. Joe Cirincione
COPYRIGHT 2018, Tennessee World Affairs Council
We need and appreciate your support of
the World Affairs Council.
THANKS TO BELMONT UNIVERSITY’S CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
THANKS TO THE NASHVILLE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS COUNCIL
THANKS TO THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ PARTNERS
THE MISSION of the nonprofit, nonpartisan Tennessee World Affairs Council is to promote international awareness, understanding and connections to enhance the region’s global stature and to prepare Tennesseans to thrive in our increasingly complex and connected world.
THE VISION of the Tennessee World Affairs Council is a well-informed community that thinks critically about the world and the impact of global events.
Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org —