Don’t forget to sign up as a World Affairs Council member (TNWAC.org/join) to be eligible to win the monthly quiz prize.
***Alternate Link to Quiz***
QUIZ WINNERS FROM LAST WEEK
Pat Miletich, Nashville, TN
Chase Cole, Nashville, TN
Yezzie Dospil, Nashville, TN
David Hillinck, Huntsville, AL
Julia Lydon, Nashville, TN
Charles Bowers, Nashville, TN
If you’re a weekly winner you’ll be entered for the monthly prize drawing but you must be a TNWAC member to win. TNWAC.org/join
Volunteers make the World (Affairs Council) go round!
APRIL 2019 MONTHLY QUIZ PRIZE
COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME
FAMILY MEMBERSHIP FOR ONE YEAR
Includes all of the benefits listed below for TWO named adults and children ages 12 and under in your household plus TWO single-visit admission tickets for guests.
- SKIP THE LINE. Expedited gallery ticketing at the Information and Membership desks
- FREE admission to the Museum galleries and the Taylor Swift Education Center
- FREE admission to hundreds of Museum programs, including weekly songwriter sessions, instrument demonstrations, film screenings, and family activities
- FREE admission to the Poets and Prophets series, honoring legendary songwriters, and the Nashville Cats series, honoring legendary session musicians
- Member exclusive exhibit event and member appreciation concert The Big Gig
- DISCOUNTED tours of Historic RCA Studio B, home of 1,000 hits, and Hatch Show Print, Nashville’s legendary letterpress shop
- 10% DISCOUNT at The Museum Store, Circa, Hatch Show Print retail, and Two Twenty Two
- SUBSCRIPTION to Inside the Circle email newsletter and bi-monthly postcards
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
We’ll post the answers and the names of the winner(s) in next week’s quiz.
Here’s last week’s questions and answers:
WHAT IN THE WORLD? QUIZ
WEEK OF April 8-14, 2019
1. As Ukraine approaches the second round of its presidential elections later this month, the government has announced a ban on gas price hikes, hoped to strengthen the chances of re-election for THIS embattled Ukrainian president.
A. Yulia Tymoshenko
B. Viktor Yanukovych
C. Mikhail Bozek
D. Petro Poroshenko
Correct Response: D. Petro Poroshenko
2. A five-day hunger strike forced THIS US-ally to host a non-binding referendum on the expansion of an existent US Marines base. Despite more than 70% of voters voicing opposition, the government has announced its intention to move forward with the expansion.
D. The Philippines
Correct Response: C. Japan
3. Romania has come under scrutiny by the European Union since pressing charges against its former anti-corruption chief, Laura Codruta Kovesi. Kovesi is the preferred candidate of THIS legislative arm of the European Union for the role of EU Chief Prosecutor.
A. House of Europe
B. European Parliament
C. European Commission
D. Council of Europe
Correct Response: B. European Parliament
4. The controversial leader of the Philippines, President Rodrigo Duterte, issued a warning to China that he would have his soldiers “prepare for suicide missions” over THIS long-standing issue.
A. Expansion of a Chinese military base in Indonesia
B. Chinese currency inflation
C. Human rights conditions in Xinjiang
D. China’s claims to the island of Pag-asa/Thitu
Correct Response: D. China’s claims to the island of Pag-asa/Thitu
5. The Saudi government has come under criticism at the UN Human Rights Council for last week’s arrest of writers and bloggers associated with THIS.
A. A British hack-tivist group
B. Women’s rights activists
C. Alleged Iranian spies
D. Disability rights activists
Correct Response: B. Women’s rights activists
6. Hollywood actor George Clooney has called for a boycott of hotels owned by the leader of THIS small Pacific nation in response to a recently announced criminal law punishing homosexuality and adultery with death by stoning.
A. Timor Leste
Correct Response: D. Brunei
7. The United States has revoked the visa of the International Criminal Court (ICC) prosecutor following her controversial decision to do THIS.
A. Allow Russia to join the ICC
B. Investigate potential war crimes allegations against US forces in Afghanistan
C. Decline to prosecute Wikileaks founder Julian Assange
D. Declare the use of child soldiers to be a war crime
Correct Response: B. Investigate potential war crimes allegations against US forces in Afghanistan
8. In a rare address to the US Congress marking the 70th anniversary of THIS international organization, THIS organization’s head warned, “We do not want a new arms race. We do not want a new Cold War. But we must not be naïve.”
A. United Nations Secretariat
B. International Atomic Energy Agency
C. North Atlantic Treaty Organization
D. World Trade Organization
Correct Response: C. North Atlantic Treaty Organization
9. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he plans to extend Israeli sovereignty through annexation to THIS territory if he is elected to a fifth term on April 9th.
A. Golan Heights
C. West Bank
10. Paul Kagame, president of THIS African country said, “There is no way to fully comprehend the loneliness and anger of survivors and yet over and over again we have asked them to make the sacrifices necessary to give our nation new life. Emotions had to be put in a box,” in marking the 25th anniversary of a three-month genocidal rampage that saw the murders of 800,000 people, including over 70 percent of the minority Tutsi population.
B. Democratic Republic of Congo
COPYRIGHT 2019, Tennessee World Affairs Council
We need and appreciate your support of
the World Affairs Council.
THANKS TO BELMONT UNIVERSITY’S CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
THANKS TO THE NASHVILLE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS COUNCIL
THANKS TO THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ PARTNERS
THE MISSION of the nonprofit, nonpartisan Tennessee World Affairs Council is to promote international awareness, understanding and connections to enhance the region’s global stature and to prepare Tennesseans to thrive in our increasingly complex and connected world.
THE VISION of the Tennessee World Affairs Council is a well-informed community that thinks critically about the world and the impact of global events.
Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org —