“What in the World” Quiz – Answers & Winners
Congratulations to this week’s “What in the World” quiz winners.
Week of April 18th Winners
Charles Bowers, Nashville, TN
Karen Leeman, Nashville, TN
Meg Franklin, Nashville, TN
David Hillinck, Huntsville, AL
Pat Miletich, Nashville, TN
Patricia Paiva, Nashville, TN
Jocelyn Hartley, Nashville TN
Well done all!
Thanks to everyone who played the quiz.
Good luck next week to all.
The quiz is open to everybody.
If you’re among the weekly quiz winners you’ll be entered in a drawing for the month’s end prize.
April “What in the World?” Quiz Prize
This month’s prize is the gift of a Friends and Family membership to the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville. The membership, valued at $100.00, is valid for one year and the benefits include:
UNLIMITED admission to the museum galleries and Taylor Swift Education Center for TWO named adults and children ages 12 and under in your household.
FREE access to hundreds of museum programs, including weekely songwriter sessions, instrument demonstrations, film screenings, and family programs.
EXCLUSIVE member exhibit previews and special events, including the member appreciation concert The Big Gig.
COMPLIMENTARY 2 single-visit admission tickets for guests.
DISCOUNTED tours of Historic RCA Studio B, home of 1,000 hits, and Hatch Show Print, Nashville’s legendary letterpress shop.
10% DISCOUNT at The Museum Store, Circa, Hatch Show Print store, Bajo Sexto, and Two Twenty Two Grill.
SUBSCIPTION to Inside the Circle email newsletter and montly postcards.
We thank the Country Music Hall of Fame for their support of global affairs awareness and education in the community.
To get an edge on each week’s quiz make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter. The current events posted there are the basis for the “What in the World?” quiz.
Also make sure you’re getting our newsletter (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn)
Check for the answers below. How did you do?
“What in the World” Quiz – Week of April 18, 2016
1. Earthquakes hit the Japanese town of Kumamoto this week. On which island is Kumamoto located?
2. Which world figure made news this week by bringing 12 Syrian refugees home after a visit to the Greek island of Lesbos?
A. Donald Trump
B. Pope Francis
C. Angela Merkel
3. The president of which nation lodged a complaint against German comedian Jan Böhermann after he read a poem on German TV poking fun at the leader?
B. North Korea
4. Who led the first round of voting in Peru’s presidential election?
A. Keiko Fujimoro
B. Pedro Kuczynski
C. Ollanta Humala
D. Veronika Mendoza
5. Which two nations announced plans to build a bridge over the Red Sea?
A. Egypt and Yemen
B. Yemen and Sudan
C. Saudi Arabia and Djibouti
D. Saudi Arabia and Egypt
6. A bill moving through Congress would take away immunity from foreign governments in cases “arising from a terrorist attack that kills an American on American soil” prompting this country to threaten economic retaliation:
B. Saudi Arabia
D. North Korea
7. Which nation has begun deploying ballistic missiles and attack submarines in numbers not seen in two decades?
C. United States
8. Lawmakers in which South American national voted Sunday on whether or not to impeach their president?
9. A meeting of OPEC and non-OPEC nations this week failed to reach an agreement on capping oil supply. Which of the following nations is not a member of OPEC?
D. Saudi Arabia
10. The number of detainees at Guantanamo was reduced to 80 after 9 prisoners, all from which nation, were sent to Saudi Arabia?
DON’T FORGET TO SHARE THE QUIZ, ESPECIALLY WITH STUDENTS WHO MAY BE PARTICIPATING IN THE TN WORLD AFFAIRS COUNCIL ACADEMIC WORLDQUEST.
Check your global affairs awareness every week with ten questions taken from news reports over the previous week. In addition to reporting in a variety of sources we highlight them on Twitter — @TNWAC #tnwacquiz. Follow us @TNWAC to keep up with global developments and Council events.
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
THANKS TO THE SPONSORS OF THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ
Country Music Hall of Fame, Nashville
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER @TNWAC
THANKS TO THE SPONSORS OF THE TENNESSEE
ACADEMIC WORLDQUEST PROGRAM – FEDEX
The Tennessee World Affairs Council is a nonprofit (501c3), nonpartisan educational charity based in Nashville that works to build understanding of global issues in our communities. Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org — Join / Donate / Volunteer