“What in the World” Quiz – Answers & Winners
Congratulations to this week’s “What in the World” quiz winners.
Week of March 7th Winners
Well done all!
Thanks to everyone who played the quiz.
Good luck next week to all.
Check for the answers below. How did you do?
“What in the World” Quiz – Week of March 7, 2016
1. Even with the announcement this week that it was cutting the number of its troops by 300,000, which nation still has the world’s largest standing army?
A. United States
2. The nomination of Roberta Johnson as ambassador to which country continues to be blocked by
Senator Marco Rubio?
3. Credited with helping ________ become an economic powerhouse, former president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva was taken into police custody this week for questing in an ongoing corruption investigation.
4. As of March 1, 2016, ____________ is the world’s most fragile state, according the Fund for Peace’s
Fragile State Index, which measures the political, economic and social stability of all the world’s nations.
D. South Sudan
5. The president of the nation whose flag is pictured below announced this week that he will not name
a successor because he plans to live to 100. Which nation is it?
6. Plans to relocate Futenma, the U.S. military airbase located on which island, were suspended this
A. Diego Garcia
C. Iwo Jima
7. In the face of tension over the South China sea, the U.S. announced it would begin joint naval exercises in the region with which two nations?
A. Japan and China
B. Japan and India
C. India and China
D. Philippines and China
8. Which European nation submitted the preparation of which dish to UNESCO for world heritage consideration?
A. France/ ratatouille
B. Germany/ wurst
C. Spain/ paella
D. Italy/ pizza
9. An article in Forbes magazine this week listed which country as number one for business in 2015?
10. Polls released this week show that 74 of the population of which large nation approve of their leader seeking another term?
DON’T FORGET TO SHARE THE QUIZ, ESPECIALLY WITH STUDENTS WHO MAY BE PARTICIPATING IN THE TN WORLD AFFAIRS COUNCIL ACADEMIC WORLDQUEST.
Check your global affairs awareness every week with ten questions taken from news reports over the previous week. In addition to reporting in a variety of sources we highlight them on Twitter — @TNWAC #tnwacquiz. Follow us @TNWAC to keep up with global developments and Council events.
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
THANKS TO THE SPONSORS OF THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ
Country Music Hall of Fame, Nashville
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER @TNWAC
The Tennessee World Affairs Council is a nonprofit (501c3), nonpartisan educational charity based in Nashville that works to build understanding of global issues in our communities. Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org — Join / Donate / Volunteer