“What in the World” Quiz – Answers & Winners
Congratulations to this week’s “What in the World” quiz winners and to last week’s winners of the 2016 Tennessee State Academic WorldQuest Championship — Jocelyn Hartley, Regan Goodrich, Kevin Gomez and April Townson of Martin Luther King, Jr., Magnet High School in Nashville.
Week of February 22nd Winners
Don Freeman, Nashville
Pat Miletich, Nashville
Katherine Lybarger, Lille, France
Deanna Kendall, Nashville
Nadine Jones, Nashville
Rohan Pethkar, Nashville
Anna, Alcobendas, Spain
Karen Leeman, Nashville
Yoshi Fukushima, Nashville
Kevin Dockery, Nashville
Dick Bowers, Nashville
Antonius Lesson Damarsasi, Jakarta, Indonesia
Noah Lawing, Atlanta, Georgia
February “What in the World?” Quiz Prize
Failures of Imagination: The Deadliest Threats to Our Homeland–and How to Thwart Them – Michael McCaul
January 12, 2016 Description — PenguinRandomHouse.com
Thanks to everyone who played the quiz.
Good luck next week to all.
Check for the answers below. How did you do?
“What in the World” Quiz – Week of February 22, 2016
1. Nashville, Tennessee is home to the largest population of this group in North America.
2. International trade as a share of U.S. gross domestic product has grown about 50% between 1990 and 2014. What was the 2014 trade as a share of GDP:
3. Britain under the leadership of Prime Minister David Cameron reached an agreement intended to keep the UK in this group:
4. This OPEC member joined an agreement to cap oil production at January levels to stabilize and boost the sagging global oil market.
5. Satellite images reported last week showed that China was militarizing Woody Island, a disputed territory, in the South China Sea – suggesting Beijing was taking a stronger line on its maritime claims in the region. What was it China is said to have moved to Woody Island?
A. A submarine base.
B. Long range fighter/bombers.
C. Surface to air missiles.
D. Intermediate range ballistic missiles.
6. In 2004 this country overtook Saudi Arabia as the largest single exporter of oil to the United States, providing 1.6 million barrels a day of crude oil.
7. President Obama met last week with leaders from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN). Their discussion of economic issues included talks on this new trade deal”
8. This African leader of this country extended his 30-year rule on Saturday, winning an election that international observers said lacked transparency and his main opponent, under house arrest, denounced as a sham.
A. Yoweri Museveni / Uganda
B. Joseph Kabila / Democratic Republic of the Congo
C. Robert Mugabe / Zimbabwe
D. Uhuru Kenyatta / Kenya
9. Tensions have increased along the 160-mile long DMZ, separating North Korea and South Korea since the Armistice (not a peace treaty) was signed halting the Korean War. What year was the Armistice signed?
10. A no-confidence vote demanded by Ukraine’s president to remove Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk fell short in the parliament. Who is the President of Ukraine.
A. Leonid Danylovych Kuchma
B. Petro Olekslyovych Poroshenko
C. Viktor Fedorovych Yanukovych
D. Viktor Andriyovych Yushchenko
DON’T FORGET TO SHARE THE QUIZ, ESPECIALLY WITH STUDENTS WHO MAY BE PARTICIPATING IN THE TN WORLD AFFAIRS COUNCIL ACADEMIC WORLDQUEST.
Check your global affairs awareness every week with ten questions taken from news reports over the previous week. In addition to reporting in a variety of sources we highlight them on Twitter — @TNWAC #tnwacquiz. Follow us @TNWAC to keep up with global developments and Council events.
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
THANKS TO THE SPONSORS OF THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ
Country Music Hall of Fame, Nashville
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER @TNWAC
The Tennessee World Affairs Council is a nonprofit (501c3), nonpartisan educational charity based in Nashville that works to build understanding of global issues in our communities. Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org — Join / Donate / Volunteer