“What in the World” Quiz – Answers & Winners
Congratulations to this week’s “What in the World” quiz winners.
Week of February 15th Winners
Katherine Lybarger, France
Diem Hang Thai, Nashville
Dick Bowers, Nashville
Pat Miletich, Nashville
George LaBour, Nashville
Catherine Kelly, Nashville
February “What in the World?” Quiz Prize
Failures of Imagination: The Deadliest Threats to Our Homeland–and How to Thwart Them – Michael McCaul
January 12, 2016 Description — PenguinRandomHouse.com
Thanks to everyone who played the quiz.
Good luck next week to all.
Check for the answers below. How did you do?
“What in the World” Quiz – Week of February 15, 2016
1. Saudi Arabia followed up an offer to send group forces to Syria to fight ISIS – if the United States began a ground campaign – with a deployment of combat aircraft poised to strike ISIS to this country in the region:
2. The breathtaking drop in oil prices has led the GCC countries to consider new revenue making schemes like indirect taxation, value added taxes and even direct income taxes according to an article by Sultan al Qassemi. Which of these countries is not in the GCC?
A. Saudi Arabia
3. Russia accused the United States of fighting a “new Cold War,” this week. Who said, “Sometimes I wonder whether it is 2016 we are living in, or 1962.”
A. Russian President Vladimir Putin
B. Russian Ambassador to the US Sergey Kislyak
C. Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev
D. Russian Foreign Minsiter Sergey Lavrov
4. Pope Francis made history on Friday when he meet with:
A. The Dalai Lama
B. Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas
C. Cuban President Raul Castro
D. Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill
5. American security guarantees to NATO partners in Central and Eastern Europe were made last year to push back against Russian threats through this program and reaffirmed last week by Secretary of State John Kerry:
A. North Atlantic Defense Modernization Project
B. Warsaw Pact Treaty
C. Eastern Frontier Defense Agreement
D. European Reassurance Initiative
6. Western officials last week put Russian leaders on the defensive over charges their intervention in this country was resulting in civilians being struck by its air campaign:
7. A nationwide “cessation of hostilities” in Syria was agreed to by this 17-member group:
A. The Group of 15 Plus UN and EU (P15+2)
B. The Joint International Committee on the Syrian Conflict (JICSC)
C. The League of Arab States (Arab League)
D. The International Syria Support Group (ISSG)
8. The Director of National Intelligence, James Clapper, warned North Korea was the top nuclear threat to the United States just days after President Obama called the leader of this country to urge him to use his country’s influence in restraining Pyongyang.
D. South Korea
9. This South African leader is at the center of a $24 million corruption scandal.
A. Yoweri Museveni
B. Robert Mugabe
C. Jacob Zuma
D. Paul Kagame
10. The price of crude oil has plunged more than 70 percent since 2014. How much oil and liquid fuels per day?
A. 216 million barrels per day
B. 156 million barrels per day
C. 97 million barrels per day
D. 56 million barrels per day
DON’T FORGET TO SHARE THE QUIZ, ESPECIALLY WITH STUDENTS WHO MAY BE PARTICIPATING IN THE TN WORLD AFFAIRS COUNCIL ACADEMIC WORLDQUEST.
Check your global affairs awareness every week with ten questions taken from news reports over the previous week. In addition to reporting in a variety of sources we highlight them on Twitter — @TNWAC #tnwacquiz. Follow us @TNWAC to keep up with global developments and Council events.
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
THANKS TO THE SPONSORS OF THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ
Country Music Hall of Fame, Nashville
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER @TNWAC
The Tennessee World Affairs Council is a nonprofit (501c3), nonpartisan educational charity based in Nashville that works to build understanding of global issues in our communities. Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org — Join / Donate / Volunteer