Don’t forget to sign up as a World Affairs Council member (TNWAC.org/join) to be eligible to win the monthly quiz prize.
LAST WEEK’S QUIZ WINNERS
David Hillinck, Huntsville, AL
Sam Horner, Nashville, TN
Pat Miletich, Nashville, TN
Charles Bowers, Nashville, TN
Mary Rafety, Nashville, TN
Eleanor I., Nashville, TN
Yezzie Dospil, Nashville, TN
If you’re a weekly winner you’ll be entered for the monthly prize drawing but you must be a TNWAC member to win. TNWAC.org/join
Volunteers make the World (Affairs Council) go round!
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
We’ll post the answers and the names of the winner(s) in next week’s quiz.
Here’s last week’s questions and answers:
WHAT IN THE WORLD QUIZ
WEEK OF DEC 23-29, 2019
1. The United States provided updated analysis of THIS attack in a report to the United Nations Security Council on December 19th. U.S. Special Envoy for Iran, Brian Hook, said the newly-declassified information was more evidence that Tehran was behind THIS attack. “The UAVs flew into Saudi Arabia from the north, and the recovered debris is consistent with Iranian-produced materiel,” he said.
A. September 14, 2019 drone and UAV attack against Abqaiq oil refinery.
B. June 25, 1996, drone and UAV attack at Khobar Towers.
C. April 1, 2018 drone and UAV attack on oil tanker SS Kharg Island.
D. August 17, 2019 drone and UAV attack at the U.S. Consulate in Jeddah.
Correct Response: A. September 14, 2019 drone and UAV attack against Abqaiq oil refinery.
2. Former education minister and American University of Beirut professor Hassan Diab was selected to be Lebanon’s new prime minister after receiving support from the parliamentary bloc of THIS Shia political and militant group.
A. Muslim Brotherhood
B. Revolutionary Guard
Correct Response: D. Hezbollah
3. Thousands of protestors blocked streets in Baghdad and cities across the south of Iraq in the run up to Sunday’s deadline for THIS. An uprising against corruption, poor social services, and high unemployment in Iraq has led to at least 400 deaths across the country since October 1.
A. President Salih to resign from office
B. Parliament’s largest bloc to name a candidate for prime minister
C. Security forces to retreat from predominantly-Shiite Basra
D. Nationalization of Iraqi oil fields
Correct Response: B. Parliament’s largest bloc to name a candidate for prime minister
4. In a significant breakthrough for Prime Minister Boris Johnson, the UK Parliament voted to do THIS in the aftermath of Johnson’s electoral victory. Running on a pledge to “get Brexit done,” Johnson won the largest Conservative majority since Margaret Thatcher, which provided the votes necessary to pass THIS.
A. Move forward with a new Brexit referendum
B. Approve a UK-US trade deal
C. Commit the UK to leaving the EU on January 31
D. Recall the UK’s MEPs from the European Parliament
Correct Response: C. Commit the UK to leaving the EU on January 31
5. In the preliminary results from Afghanistan’s September elections, THIS current president appears to have narrowly won a second term. Though HIS main challenger rejected the outcome as illegitimate, the victory could give HIM the authority he has long sought to demand a leading role in peace talks with the Taliban.
A. Abdullah Abdullah
B. Ilham Aliyev
C. Adil Abdul-Mahdi
D. Ashraf Ghani
Correct Response: D. Ashraf Ghani
6. Cuba has announced its first THIS in more than 40 years after revolutionary leader Fidel Castro scrapped the post in 1976. The change comes as part of a new constitution passed earlier this year, though critics suggest this is purely a cosmetic move and that the Communist Party and the military remain the only two real decision-making institutions on the island.
A. Catholic bishop
B. Attorney general
C. Prime minister
D. Human rights monitor
Correct Response: C. Prime minister
7. THIS African Sahel country has launched an investigation into crimes committed in THIS region by former President Omar al-Bashir. Ten years after the International Criminal Court issued a warrant for the arrest of its former leader, the country’s new transitional government has suggested that all types of crimes committed by “former regime leaders” would be investigated and could result in trials abroad.
A. Central African Republic; Dar El Kuti
B. Somalia; Somaliland
C. Sudan; Darfur
D. Democratic Republic of Congo; Bukavu
Correct Response: C. Sudan; Darfur
8. Russian officials have announced that THIS will proceed, despite US sanctions against companies involved with the plan that were signed into law by President Trump as part of a December defense bill. The United States has opposed THIS because it is expected to expand Russia’s influence in the European economy and politics.
A. Gas pipeline projects connecting Russia to Germany and Turkey
B. Participation of Russia in the EU’s “European Neighbourhood Policy”
C. Creation of a joint space research facility between Russia and Spain
D. Construction of nuclear power plants in Russian-occupied regions of Ukraine
Correct Response: A. Gas pipeline projects connecting Russia to Germany and Turkey
9. Prime Minister Modi has vehemently defended a controversial new citizenship law that does THIS, accusing opposition parties of stoking fear and spreading lies about the measure. Following protests across the country wherein 20+ people have died, Indian authorities have suspended internet access and public transportation, and over 50 legal challenges have already been filed against the law in India’s top court.
A. Makes religion a criterion for citizenship
B. Introduces a birth-right citizenship constitutional amendment
C. Repatriates Pakistani and Bangladeshi citizens
D. Revokes citizenship from LGBTQ+ Indians
Correct Response: A. Makes religion a criterion for citizenship
10. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo strongly rebuked Russia and China for vetoing a UN Security Council resolution that would have done THIS, arguing that the two countries had “[placed] the lives of millions of innocent civilians in the balance at the height of winter.”
A. Authorized the creation of the new UN Climate Council
B. Allowed cross-border humanitarian aid for Syria
C. Prohibited the distribution of marijuana across countries that have legalized it
D. Facilitated intelligence-sharing on human trafficking networks
Correct Response: B. Allowed cross-border humanitarian aid for Syria
COPYRIGHT 2019, Tennessee World Affairs Council
We need and appreciate your support of
the World Affairs Council.
THANKS TO BELMONT UNIVERSITY’S CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
THANKS TO THE NASHVILLE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS COUNCIL
THANKS TO THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ PARTNERS
THE MISSION of the nonprofit, nonpartisan Tennessee World Affairs Council is to promote international awareness, understanding and connections to enhance the region’s global stature and to prepare Tennesseans to thrive in our increasingly complex and connected world.
THE VISION of the Tennessee World Affairs Council is a well-informed community that thinks critically about the world and the impact of global events.
Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org —