Don’t forget to sign up as a World Affairs Council member (TNWAC.org/join) to be eligible to win the monthly quiz prize.
LAST WEEK’S QUIZ WINNERS
Himanshu Manchanda, Nashville, TN
Patricia Miletich, Nashville, TN
Yezzie Dospil, Nashville, TN
Kate Carney, Nashville, TN
Charles Bowers, Nashville, TN
David Hillinck, Huntsville, AL
Sam Horner, Nashville, TN
Jackie Sheridan, Nashville, TN
Kathy Ingleson, Brentwood, TN
Allan Ramsaur, Nashville, TN
Logan Monday, Nashville, TN
If you’re a weekly winner you’ll be entered for the monthly prize drawing but you must be a TNWAC member to win. TNWAC.org/join
Volunteers make the World (Affairs Council) go round!
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
We’ll post the answers and the names of the winner(s) in next week’s quiz.
Here’s last week’s questions and answers:
WHAT IN THE WORLD QUIZ
WEEK OF DEC 9-15, 2019
1. Three U.S. Navy personnel were killed and eight others wounded on Friday when a gunman began shooting in classrooms at the U.S. Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Florida. The shooter, who was killed by responding law enforcement officers, was affiliated with THIS organization.
A. Royal Saudi Air Force
B. Royal Jordanian Air Force
C. Egyptian Air Force
D. Afghan Air Force
Correct Response: A. Royal Saudi Air Force
2. Organizers said 800,000 protesters came out in Hong Kong to demonstrate against the Semi-Autonomous Region’s government. The protests, frequently violent, started in June in response to THIS.
A. A proposal to allow Hong Kong citizens to be drafted into the People’s Liberation Army.
B. An announcement that university fees would double in the coming academic year.
C. A draft law to permit extradition of Hong Kongers to the mainland PRC for prosecutions.
D. A requirement that Hong Kongers begin to convert their passports to those issued by the PRC.
Correct Response: C. A draft law to permit extradition of Hong Kongers to the mainland PRC for prosecutions.
3. The Governor of THIS region in Western China slammed U.S. legislation taking on the detention of as many as a million Muslim Uighurs. The Congress acted to require a tougher response to Chinese human rights violations in the case of the Uighurs.
4. “Kim Jong Un is too smart and has far too much to lose, everything actually, if he acts in a hostile way. He signed a strong Denuclearization Agreement with me,” said President Trump in response to THIS action taken by North Korea.
A. Resumption of rhetorical threats from North Korea labeling President Trump a “dotard.”
B. Intelligence reporting about preparations for underground tests of a nuclear weapon in North Korea.
C. A “very important” development at a rocket testing facility that could indicate advancements in North Korea’s ballistic missile program.
D. Reporting of a North Korean arms carrier sailing to Iran with ballistic missile engines.
Correct Response: C. A “very important” development at a rocket testing facility that could indicate advancements in North Korea’s ballistic missile program.
5. Boris Johnson is campaigning to win a majority for the Conservative Party in Thursdays election in the United Kingdom. Meanwhile his chief opponent, THIS leader of the Labour party is making the election about a massive economic reform program.
A. Jeremy Corbyn
B. Nigel Farage
C. David Cameron
D. Theresa May
6. Sanna Marin was chosen by THIS Scandanavian country’s Social Democrat party to be the country’s youngest prime minister. The 34-year-old previously served as transportation minister.
7. The First Counsellor, a position like Prime Minister, of Myanmar is headed to the Hague to represent the country against charges of genocide in the case of the Rohingya Muslims. The First Counsellor – a Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, head of the National League and former political prisoner – is THIS leader.
A. Sirimavo Bandaranaike
B. Chandrika Kumaranatunga
C. Aung San Suu Kyi
D. Sheikh Hasina
8. Ukraine’s President will meet Russian President Vladimir Putin in Paris in talks aimed at ending the conflict between Ukrainians and Russian-backed rebels in the east of the country. The leaders of France and Germany will participate in the negotiations. The President of Ukraine is THIS leader.
A. Petro Poroshenko
B. Viktor Yushchenko
C. Viktor Yanukovych
D. Volodymyr Zelenskiy
Correct Response: D. Volodymyr Zelenskiy
9. Saad Hariri, who resigned in October when mass protests rocked THIS country has re-emerged as the leading candidate to take back his post as Prime Minister, a position that under THIS country’s power-sharing agreement must be a Sunni Muslim.
10. Iran will begin using a new generation of THIS device to enrich uranium according to Iran’s nuclear agency. The move is seen in reaction to U.S. rejection of the JCPOA, the Iran nuclear deal. THIS device is critical to enriching uranium that could be used in a nuclear weapon program.
A. Ballast Tanks
B. Thermodynamic Condensers
D. Multi-step Collider
COPYRIGHT 2019, Tennessee World Affairs Council
We need and appreciate your support of
the World Affairs Council.
THANKS TO BELMONT UNIVERSITY’S CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
THANKS TO THE NASHVILLE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS COUNCIL
THANKS TO THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ PARTNERS
THE MISSION of the nonprofit, nonpartisan Tennessee World Affairs Council is to promote international awareness, understanding and connections to enhance the region’s global stature and to prepare Tennesseans to thrive in our increasingly complex and connected world.
THE VISION of the Tennessee World Affairs Council is a well-informed community that thinks critically about the world and the impact of global events.
Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org —