Don’t forget to sign up as a World Affairs Council member (TNWAC.org/join) to be eligible to win the monthly quiz prize.
***Alternate Link to Quiz***
QUIZ WINNERS FROM LAST WEEK
Kathy Ingleson, Brentwood, TN
Pat Miletich, Nashville, TN
David Hillinck, Huntsville, AL
Yezzie Dospil, Nashville, TN
Charles Bowers, Rouen, France
Ted Lovett, Washington, DC (“Love this quiz”)
If you’re a weekly winner you’ll be entered for the monthly prize drawing but you must be a TNWAC member to win. TNWAC.org/join
Volunteers make the World (Affairs Council) go round!
MAY 2019 MONTHLY QUIZ PRIZE WINNER
David Hillinck, Huntsville, Al (Academic WorldQuest Teacher)
The Hundred-Year Marathon: China’s Secret Strategy to Replace America as the Global Superpower
JUNE 2019 MONTHLY QUIZ PRIZE
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
We’ll post the answers and the names of the winner(s) in next week’s quiz.
Here’s last week’s questions and answers:
WHAT IN THE WORLD QUIZ
WEEK OF May 20-26, 2019
1. Tensions in the Persian Gulf increased on Sunday with a rocket attack against the “Green Zone” in this capital, as President Trump said a conflict would be the “official end” of Iran and Saudi Arabia threatened to use “all strength” against Iran. Where did the rocket strike on Sunday?
A. Manama, Bahrain
B. Doha, Qatar
C. Baghdad, Iraq
D. Kuwait City, Kuwait
Correct Response: C. Baghdad, Iraq
2. The White House is expected to roll out the first phase of a peace plan President Trump has touted as the “deal of the century” with THIS focus. However, Palestinian officials have rejected the new American deal. What is the first part of the new peace plan being offered by Washington?
B. Settlement roll back
C. Right of return
D. Jerusalem as joint capital
Correct Response: A. Investments
3. A conservative coalition shocked poll watchers in THIS country in elections Saturday that saw climate change and renewable energy questions among key issues. Prime Minister Scott Morrison called the result a political miracle.
A. New Zealand
4. President Trump met THIS European leader this week and praised him as a tough but respected man even as U.S. Senators raised concerns about “Hungary’s downward democratic trajectory and the implications for US interests in Central Europe.”
A. Andrzej Duda
B. Milos Zeman
C. Viktor Orban
D. Vaclav Klaus
Correct Response: C. Viktor Orban
5. Which of THESE actions are occurring as tensions between the United States and China are increasing over the impasse in tariff negotiations?
A. U.S. Ambassador to China Terry Branstad is visiting Tibet in the aftermath of a Chinese law restricting access of foreigners there.
B. A U.S. Navy warship sailed within 12 nautical miles of a Chinese claimed shoal in the South China Sea to “challenge excessive maritime claims.”
C. U.S. Senator Mark Warner began organizing meetings between intelligence officials and business people to warn against too close ties to China.
D. All of the above.
Correct Response: D. All of the above.
6. THIS recent action by North Korea was called “standard stuff” by President Trump who continues to work toward a denuclearization agreement with Kim Jong Un.
A. Test of short-range ballistic missiles that appear designed to evade U.S. missile defense systems.
B. Shipments of coal to China despite sanctions of the UN Security Council.
C. A refusal by Chairman Kim Jong Un to meet with President Trump for a third summit.
D. New tunnel building activity at a North Korean nuclear weapon test facility.
Correct Response: A. Test of short-range ballistic missiles that appear designed to evade U.S. missile defense systems.
7. The Iranian Foreign Minister responded to increased tensions between Tehran and Washington saying, “There will be no war because neither do we want a war, nor has anyone the idea or illusion it can confront Iran in the region.” WHO is the Foreign Minister of Iran?
A. Mohammad Javad Zarif
B. Hassan Rouhani
C. Hossein Salami
D. Qassem Soleimani
Correct Response: A. Mohammad Javad Zarif
8. This week 751 seats for the European Union Parliament will be filled by election winners from 28 nations. Meetings of the whole EU Parliament, plenary sessions, take place in Strasbourg and THIS city.
A. The Hague, Netherlands
B. London, England
C. Brussels, Belgium
D. None of the above.
Correct Response: C. Brussels, Belgium
9. THIS Indian Prime Minister appeared headed to electoral victory following days of voting in the world’s largest democracy – 900 million registered voters. He played to his strengths – strong Hindu nationalist politics and a solid image abroad – in the campaigning that will lead to another five-year term.
A. Narendra Modi
B. Rahul Gandhi
C. Josukutty Cheriantharayil Abraham
D. Ayesha Venkataraman
Correct Response: A. Narendra Modi
10. The second-largest ever outbreak of Ebola is “spiraling out of control” according to the NY Times, “roaring back in the past two months.” The outbreak is occurring in THIS country.
B. Sierra Leone
C. Democratic Republic of Congo
D. Burkina Faso
Correct Response: C. Democratic Republic of Congo
COPYRIGHT 2019, Tennessee World Affairs Council
We need and appreciate your support of
the World Affairs Council.
THANKS TO BELMONT UNIVERSITY’S CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
THANKS TO THE NASHVILLE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS COUNCIL
THANKS TO THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ PARTNERS
THE MISSION of the nonprofit, nonpartisan Tennessee World Affairs Council is to promote international awareness, understanding and connections to enhance the region’s global stature and to prepare Tennesseans to thrive in our increasingly complex and connected world.
THE VISION of the Tennessee World Affairs Council is a well-informed community that thinks critically about the world and the impact of global events.
Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org —