Don’t forget to sign up as a World Affairs Council member (TNWAC.org/join) to be eligible to win the monthly quiz prize.
***Link to Quiz***
QUIZ WINNERS FROM LAST WEEK
David Hillinck, Huntsville, AL
Kathy Ingleson, Brentwood, TN
Yezzie Dospil, Nashville, TN
Charles Bowers, Nashville, TN
Tigist Tilahun, Nashville, TN
If you’re a weekly winner you’ll be entered for the monthly prize drawing but you must be a TNWAC member to win. TNWAC.org/join
Volunteers make the World (Affairs Council) go round!
MAY 2019 MONTHLY QUIZ PRIZE
The Hundred-Year Marathon: China’s Secret Strategy to Replace America as the Global Superpower
One of the U.S. government’s leading China experts reveals the hidden strategy fueling that country’s rise – and how Americans have been seduced into helping China overtake us as the world’s leading superpower.
For more than forty years, the United States has played an indispensable role helping the Chinese government build a booming economy, develop its scientific and military capabilities, and take its place on the world stage, in the belief that China’s rise will bring us cooperation, diplomacy, and free trade. But what if the “China Dream” is to replace us, just as America replaced the British Empire, without firing a shot?
Based on interviews with Chinese defectors and newly declassified, previously undisclosed national security documents, The Hundred-Year Marathon reveals China’s secret strategy to supplant the United States as the world’s dominant power, and to do so by 2049, the one-hundredth anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic. Michael Pillsbury, a fluent Mandarin speaker who has served in senior national security positions in the U.S. government since the days of Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger, draws on his decades of contact with the “hawks” in China’s military and intelligence agencies and translates their documents, speeches, and books to show how the teachings of traditional Chinese statecraft underpin their actions. He offers an inside look at how the Chinese really view America and its leaders – as barbarians who will be the architects of their own demise.
Pillsbury also explains how the U.S. government has helped – sometimes unwittingly and sometimes deliberately – to make this “China Dream” come true, and he calls for the United States to implement a new, more competitive strategy toward China as it really is, and not as we might wish it to be. The Hundred-Year Marathon is a wake-up call as we face the greatest national security challenge of the twenty-first century.
About Michael Pillsbury
Senior Fellow and Director for Chinese Strategy Michael Pillsbury is a distinguished defense policy adviser, former high-ranking government official, and author of numerous books and reports on China. During the Reagan administration, Pillsbury was Assistant Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Planning and responsible for implementation of the program of covert aid known as the Reagan Doctrine. In 1975-76, while an analyst at the RANDCorporation, Pillsbury published articles in Foreign Policy and International Security recommending that the United States establish intelligence and military ties with China. The proposal, publicly commended by Ronald Reagan, Henry Kissinger, and James Schlesinger, later became U.S. policy during the Carter and Reagan administrations.
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
We’ll post the answers and the names of the winner(s) in next week’s quiz.
Here’s last week’s questions and answers:
WHAT IN THE WORLD? QUIZ
WEEK OF April 28-May 5, 2019
1. The U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) and the U.S. Treasury Secretary are off to Beijing this week for trade talks with their Chinese counterparts in an effort to end a trade war. WHO is the U.S. Trade Representative?
A. Steven Mnuchin
B. Robert Lighthizer
C. Peter Navarro
D. Wilbur Ross
Correct Response: B. Robert Lighthizer
2. Two U.S. Navy warships sailed through THIS 112-mile-wide waterway on April 28th to demonstrate “freedom of navigation” in international waters as part of U.S. policy of keeping sea lanes open. THIS route separates China from what Beijing calls a renegade province with which the U.S. does not have formal ties but does support through arms sales.
A. Malacca Strait
B. Strait of Senkaku
C. Lombok Strait
D. Taiwan Strait
Correct Response: D. Taiwan Strait
3. THIS terror group claimed responsibility for the wave of Easter Day bombing attacks that killed over 250 people in churches and hotels in Sri Lanka.
B. Boko Haram
D. Al Qaeda
Correct Response: C. ISIS
4. On May 2nd the Trump Administration will end sanctions waivers for eight countries that exempted them from THIS, representing another step in the “maximum pressure” campaign.
A. Oil sales from Iran.
B. Oil sales from Venezuela.
C. Oil sales to North Korea.
D. Oil sales to Cuba.
Correct Response: A. Oil sales from Iran.
5. THIS candidate was elected President of Ukraine in a landslide victory. In addition to being the first Jewish leader in this former Soviet republic besieged by Russian-backed insurgents in the East, he is an actor and comedian who played a fictional Ukrainian teacher who improbably becomes president.
A. Petro O. Poroshenko
B. Viktor F. Yanukovych
C. Oleksandr Manafort
D. Volodymyr Zelensky
Correct Response: D. Volodymyr Zelensky
6. Global military spending is up 2.6 percent, topping $1.8 trillion, the highest level since 1988 according to SIPRI, the respected Stockholm International Peace Research Institute due PRIMARILY TO THIS. United States’ spending rose 4.6 percent in 2017, over $649 billion, and putting the country at the top of global spending with 36 percent of the total, equal to the next eight highest spenders combined.
A. U.S.-China military competition
B. U.S.-Russian military competition
C. Global War on Terrorism
D. Iranian Hegemony in the Middle East
Correct Response: A. U.S.-China military competition
7. THIS nation in the United Kingdom, led by First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, may take advantage of the chaos of Brexit to relaunch an independence referendum.
A. Northern Ireland
8. This week Emperor Akihito of Japan will abdicate ending the 31-year Heisei era on the Chrysantheum Throne. WHO is standing by to become the next Emperor?
A. Crown Prince Abe
B. Crown Prince Noda
C. Crown Prince Fukuda
D. Crown Prince Naruhito
Correct Response: D. Crown Prince Naruhito
9. THIS EU country held elections over the weekend that saw the ruling Socialist party increase to 123 its seats in Parliament up from 84 but not enough to hold a majority, forcing it to forge a new coalition to rule. Of note was the rise of the Vox party, benefiting from anti-immigration and separatist concerns, the first far-right party in THIS country to make substantial electoral gains since dictator Francisco Franco died in 1988.
10. U.S. military planners are scrambling to cope with THIS disparity in capability between America and China after decades of advances in Beijing’s force structure. Mindful of defending its coasts against U.S. naval forces in the Western Pacific, and given advantage by America’s compliance with the US-Russian Intermediate Range Nuclear Forces Treaty, China has benefited from emphasis of THIS.
A. Submarine gap
B. Bomber gap
C. Missile gap
D. Aircraft carrier gap
COPYRIGHT 2019, Tennessee World Affairs Council
We need and appreciate your support of
the World Affairs Council.
THANKS TO SOUTHWEST AIRLINES
THANKS TO BELMONT UNIVERSITY’S CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
THANKS TO THE NASHVILLE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS COUNCIL
THANKS TO THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ PARTNERS
THE MISSION of the nonprofit, nonpartisan Tennessee World Affairs Council is to promote international awareness, understanding and connections to enhance the region’s global stature and to prepare Tennesseans to thrive in our increasingly complex and connected world.
THE VISION of the Tennessee World Affairs Council is a well-informed community that thinks critically about the world and the impact of global events.
Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org —