Don’t forget to sign up as a World Affairs Council member (TNWAC.org/join) to be eligible to win the monthly quiz prize.
***Alternate Link to Quiz***
QUIZ WINNERS FROM LAST WEEK
Pat Miletich, Nashville, TN
David Hillinck, Huntsville, AL
Brandon Darr, Bangkok, Thailand
David Durham, Nashville, TN
Charles Bowers, Nashville, TN
Pratik Yedla, Huntsville, AL
Yezzie Dospil, Nashville, TN
If you’re a weekly winner you’ll be entered for the monthly prize drawing but you must be a TNWAC member to win. TNWAC.org/join
Volunteers make the World (Affairs Council) go round!
APRIL 2019 MONTHLY QUIZ PRIZE WINNER
Tigist Tilahun, Nashville, TN – Student, Knowledge Academies
COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME
FAMILY MEMBERSHIP FOR ONE YEAR
MAY 2019 MONTHLY QUIZ PRIZE
The Hundred-Year Marathon: China’s Secret Strategy to Replace America as the Global Superpower
One of the U.S. government’s leading China experts reveals the hidden strategy fueling that country’s rise – and how Americans have been seduced into helping China overtake us as the world’s leading superpower.
For more than forty years, the United States has played an indispensable role helping the Chinese government build a booming economy, develop its scientific and military capabilities, and take its place on the world stage, in the belief that China’s rise will bring us cooperation, diplomacy, and free trade. But what if the “China Dream” is to replace us, just as America replaced the British Empire, without firing a shot?
Based on interviews with Chinese defectors and newly declassified, previously undisclosed national security documents, The Hundred-Year Marathon reveals China’s secret strategy to supplant the United States as the world’s dominant power, and to do so by 2049, the one-hundredth anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic. Michael Pillsbury, a fluent Mandarin speaker who has served in senior national security positions in the U.S. government since the days of Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger, draws on his decades of contact with the “hawks” in China’s military and intelligence agencies and translates their documents, speeches, and books to show how the teachings of traditional Chinese statecraft underpin their actions. He offers an inside look at how the Chinese really view America and its leaders – as barbarians who will be the architects of their own demise.
Pillsbury also explains how the U.S. government has helped – sometimes unwittingly and sometimes deliberately – to make this “China Dream” come true, and he calls for the United States to implement a new, more competitive strategy toward China as it really is, and not as we might wish it to be. The Hundred-Year Marathon is a wake-up call as we face the greatest national security challenge of the twenty-first century.
About Michael Pillsbury
Senior Fellow and Director for Chinese Strategy Michael Pillsbury is a distinguished defense policy adviser, former high-ranking government official, and author of numerous books and reports on China. During the Reagan administration, Pillsbury was Assistant Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Planning and responsible for implementation of the program of covert aid known as the Reagan Doctrine. In 1975-76, while an analyst at the RANDCorporation, Pillsbury published articles in Foreign Policy and International Security recommending that the United States establish intelligence and military ties with China. The proposal, publicly commended by Ronald Reagan, Henry Kissinger, and James Schlesinger, later became U.S. policy during the Carter and Reagan administrations.
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
We’ll post the answers and the names of the winner(s) in next week’s quiz.
Here’s last week’s questions and answers:
WHAT IN THE WORLD? QUIZ
WEEK OF April 22-28, 2019
1. Donors pledged hundreds of millions of euros to rebuild Paris’s Notre Dame Cathedral after a fire destroyed parts of the building’s roof this week, but it wasn’t the first time the famous landmark has been saved by the public. Years of damage and neglect during and after the French Revolution made the Gothic masterpiece an eyesore, and by the nineteenth century, architects were ready to dismantle it. THIS famous author wrote The Hunchback of Notre Dame in 1831 to draw attention to the historical and artistic importance of the cathedral, saving it from destruction and leading to a 20-year renovation:
A. Honoré de Balzac
B. Gustave Flaubert
C. Emile Zola
D. Victor Hugo
Correct Response: D. Victor Hugo
2. At the same time Notre Dame burned in Paris, THIS holy site in Jerusalem sustained limited damage from a much smaller fire, believed to have been set by children playing nearby:
A. Dome of the Rock
B. Al-Aqsa Mosque
C. The Western Wall
D. Church of the Holy Sepulchre
Correct Response: B. Al-Aqsa Mosque
3. In a speech to Cuban-American veterans on the 58th anniversary of the Bay of Pigs invasion, U.S. National Security Adviser John Bolton announced the reactivation of the 1996 Libertad Act, which allows U.S. citizens whose property was seized after Cuba’s 1959 revolution to do THIS:
A. Return to Cuba to reclaim it
B. Demand reparations from the current government of Cuba
C. Sue any businesses that have profited from the use of the property
D. Demand reparations from the United States
Correct Response: C. Sue any businesses that have profited from the use of the property
4. Egyptians went to the polls to vote on amendments to the country’s constitution that would extend the president’s term from four years to six, and allow each president to serve two consecutive terms. These changes could allow the current president to remain in power until 2030. Who is the current president of Egypt?
A. Mohammed Morsi
B. Hosni Mubarak
C. Anwar Sadat
D. Abdel Fattah El-Sisi
Correct Response: D. Abdel Fattah El-Sisi
5. A protest organized by the group Extinction Rebellion occupied central London, blocking traffic, disrupting public transportation, and demanding THIS of the UK government:
A. Immediate steps to reduce carbon emissions and address climate change
B. The suspension of the Brexit process
C. Scottish independence
D. The revocation of all UK business permits for corporations with a presence in Israel
Correct Response: A. Immediate steps to reduce carbon emissions and address climate change
6. The U.S. Attorney General established a new policy for migrants seeking asylum in the U.S. that no longer gives detainees the possibility of THIS while their cases are pending:
A. Access to an attorney; detainees can now only meet with their attorney at their hearings
B. Being released on bond; they will now be held in detention until their hearings
C. Contacting their families by phone; they can now only write letters to their families
D. Appearing before an immigration judge; each case will now be decided by ICE officials
Correct Response: B. Being released on bond; they will be held in detention, indefinitely
7. North Korea demanded that THIS U.S. official be removed from nuclear negotiations after it said he downplayed the significance of statements made by Kim Jong Un:
A. National Security Adviser John Bolton
B. Vice-President Mike Pence
C. President Donald Trump
D. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo
Correct Response: D. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo
8. Alan Garcia, former president of THIS nation, took his life this week to avoid being arrested on corruption charges:
Correct Response: B. Peru
9. Mali’s Prime Minister Soumeylou Boubèye Maïga and his government resigned after a month of sustained public frustration over his failure to do THIS:
A. Distribute drought relief to farmers in the northwestern part of the country
B. Curb rampant corruption among government officials
C. Disarm the group believed responsible for an intercommunal massacre that killed 160 men, women and children
D. Boost economic growth and increase foreign investment in Mali
Correct Response: C. Disarm the group believed responsible for an intercommunal massacre that killed 160 men, women and children
10. Liberian president George Weah worked from home for a few days, as did everyone else whose office was in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs building in downtown Monrovia. Mr. Weah and his colleagues yielded their workplace to fumigation crews, sent to remove THESE creatures:
A. Killer bees
D. Venomous frogs
Correct Response: C. Snakes
COPYRIGHT 2019, Tennessee World Affairs Council
We need and appreciate your support of
the World Affairs Council.
THANKS TO BELMONT UNIVERSITY’S CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
THANKS TO THE NASHVILLE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS COUNCIL
THANKS TO THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ PARTNERS
THE MISSION of the nonprofit, nonpartisan Tennessee World Affairs Council is to promote international awareness, understanding and connections to enhance the region’s global stature and to prepare Tennesseans to thrive in our increasingly complex and connected world.
THE VISION of the Tennessee World Affairs Council is a well-informed community that thinks critically about the world and the impact of global events.
Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org —