Don’t forget to sign up as a World Affairs Council member (TNWAC.org/join) to be eligible to win the monthly quiz prize.
***Alternate Link to Quiz***
QUIZ WINNERS FROM LAST WEEK
Pratik Yedla, Huntsville, AL
Roanna Wiser, New York
Benjamin Radford, Winston-Salem, NC
David Hillinck, Huntsville, AL
Julia Lydon, Nashville, TN
Charles Bowers, Nashville, TN
If you’re a weekly winner you’ll be entered for the monthly prize drawing but you must be a TNWAC member to win. TNWAC.org/join
Volunteers make the World (Affairs Council) go round!
APRIL 2019 MONTHLY QUIZ PRIZE
COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME
FAMILY MEMBERSHIP FOR ONE YEAR
Includes all of the benefits listed below for TWO named adults and children ages 12 and under in your household plus TWO single-visit admission tickets for guests.
- SKIP THE LINE. Expedited gallery ticketing at the Information and Membership desks
- FREE admission to the Museum galleries and the Taylor Swift Education Center
- FREE admission to hundreds of Museum programs, including weekly songwriter sessions, instrument demonstrations, film screenings, and family activities
- FREE admission to the Poets and Prophets series, honoring legendary songwriters, and the Nashville Cats series, honoring legendary session musicians
- Member exclusive exhibit event and member appreciation concert The Big Gig
- DISCOUNTED tours of Historic RCA Studio B, home of 1,000 hits, and Hatch Show Print, Nashville’s legendary letterpress shop
- 10% DISCOUNT at The Museum Store, Circa, Hatch Show Print retail, and Two Twenty Two
- SUBSCRIPTION to Inside the Circle email newsletter and bi-monthly postcards
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
We’ll post the answers and the names of the winner(s) in next week’s quiz.
Here’s last week’s questions and answers:
WHAT IN THE WORLD? QUIZ
WEEK OF April 15-21, 2019
1. The largest election the world has ever seen began in India last week, where 900 million eligible voters will have the opportunity over 39 days to elect a new lower house of parliament in seven phases of polling through mid-May. As the election carries on, THIS current Prime Minister of India has been subjected to allegations of corruption by opposition leaders.
A. Narendra Modi
B. Rahul Gandhi
C. Atal Bihari Vajpayee
D. Manmohan Singh
Correct Response: Narendra Modi
2. Following a bombing in a fruit and vegetable market in Quetta that killed 24 people, members of THIS marginalized ethnic minority in Pakistan began a sit-in to demand better security conditions. THIS ethnic group practices Shia Islam in the predominantly Sunni countries of Pakistan and Afghanistan and has been subject to threats from sectarian armed groups for many years.
Correct Response: C. Hazara
3. Since last week’s announcement that former President Omar Al-Bashir would be removed from his position after thirty years of rule, the international community has renewed calls for Mr. Bashir to be extradited and face his indictment by THIS international court for his role in the humanitarian crisis in Darfur.
A. East African Court of Justice
B. International Court of Justice
C. International Criminal Court
D. African Court of Justice
Correct Response: C. International Criminal Court
4. Infamous co-founder of WikiLeaks Julian Assange was evicted from THIS country’s embassy in London, where he’d been in residence with diplomatic asylum for seven years, and arrested last week after allegations that he was intervening in the internal affairs of other states and displaying “improper hygienic conduct” inside the embassy.
A. El Salvador
D. Equatorial Guinea
Correct Response: C. Ecuador
5. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held onto his lead in last week’s elections, becoming the longest-serving PM as he enters his fifth term. Despite his win, THIS new Israeli political alliance received over a million votes, breaking the record for a new party and positioning it to become the new alternative to Israel’s right wing.
A. Democratic Socialists
B. Blue and White
Correct Response: B. Blue and White
6. EU and UK leaders have agreed to a six-month “flexible extension” to Brexit, delaying the process until October 31. Despite the extension, the UK could be forced to exit as early as May 1 if the country does not do THIS in May.
A. Agree to a soft border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland
B. Allow Scotland to hold a new referendum for independence
C. Reopen withdrawal agreement negotiations
D. Hold elections for the European Parliament
Correct Response: D. Hold elections for the European Parliament
7. THIS San Francisco-based company was forced to reverse a new policy to settle a class action suit filed against them by Israeli lawyers who alleged discrimination against Jewish settlers in the West Bank.
Correct Response: D. Airbnb
8. China, already under international backlash for holding as many as a million of THIS Muslim minority group in detection camps, is under fire for using facial recognition technology to track members of THIS group. It is the first known instance of a government using AI for racial profiling.
Correct Response: B. Uighurs
9. The Trump Administration named THIS group a terrorist organization last week, the first time a military arm of a state has been so labeled, intensifying the already tense relationship with that country.
A. Party of God (Hezbollah)
B. National Liberation Army (ELN)
C. Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP)
D. Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corp (IRGC)
Correct Response: D. Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corp (IRGC)
10. President Danny Faure, leader of THIS Indian Ocean island nation that faces an existential threat from climate change and rising sea levels, issued a plea for the world to protect the oceans which he called the “beating blue heart of our planet” from inside a submersible at a depth of over 400 feet.
D. Sri Lanka
Correct Response: B. Seychelles
COPYRIGHT 2019, Tennessee World Affairs Council
We need and appreciate your support of
the World Affairs Council.
THANKS TO BELMONT UNIVERSITY’S CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
THANKS TO THE NASHVILLE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS COUNCIL
THANKS TO THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ PARTNERS
THE MISSION of the nonprofit, nonpartisan Tennessee World Affairs Council is to promote international awareness, understanding and connections to enhance the region’s global stature and to prepare Tennesseans to thrive in our increasingly complex and connected world.
THE VISION of the Tennessee World Affairs Council is a well-informed community that thinks critically about the world and the impact of global events.
Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org —