Don’t forget to sign up as a World Affairs Council member (TNWAC.org/join) to be eligible to win the monthly quiz prize.
***Alternate Link to Quiz***
QUIZ WINNERS FROM LAST WEEK
David Hillinck, Huntsville, AL
Pat Miletich, Nashville, TN
Keith Simmons, Nashville, TN
Deb Monroe, Cambridgeshire, UK
David Wilson, Phoenix, AZ
Dick Bowers, Nashville, TN
Jacob Williams, Franklin, TN
Pratik Yelda, Huntsville, AL
If you’re a weekly winner you’ll be entered for the monthly prize drawing but you must be a TNWAC member to win. TNWAC.org/join
COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME
FAMILY MEMBERSHIP FOR ONE YEAR
Includes all of the benefits listed below for TWO named adults and children ages 12 and under in your household plus TWO single-visit admission tickets for guests.
- SKIP THE LINE. Expedited gallery ticketing at the Information and Membership desks
- FREE admission to the Museum galleries and the Taylor Swift Education Center
- FREE admission to hundreds of Museum programs, including weekly songwriter sessions, instrument demonstrations, film screenings, and family activities
- FREE admission to the Poets and Prophets series, honoring legendary songwriters, and the Nashville Cats series, honoring legendary session musicians
- Member exclusive exhibit event and member appreciation concert The Big Gig
- DISCOUNTED tours of Historic RCA Studio B, home of 1,000 hits, and Hatch Show Print, Nashville’s legendary letterpress shop
- 10% DISCOUNT at The Museum Store, Circa, Hatch Show Print retail, and Two Twenty Two
- SUBSCRIPTION to Inside the Circle email newsletter and bi-monthly postcards
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
We’ll post the answers and the names of the winner(s) in next week’s quiz.
Here’s last week’s questions and answers:
WHAT IN THE WORLD? QUIZ
WEEK OF February 11-17, 2019
1. A compromise between France and Germany over THIS controversial gas pipeline has settled an EU controversy. The deal concluded that the Russian sourced gas pipeline under the Baltic Sea would not be threatened as a project but stricter controls would be in place.
A. Nord Stream 2
B. Gazprom Gas Works
C. Baltic Gas Route 1
Correct Response: A. Nord Stream 2
2. Turkey has increased calls for China to close detention camps where a million of THIS ethnic group are being detained. Critics claim China is running “concentration camps” while Beijing defends the detentions as re-education facilities. The Muslim Turkic-speaking minority group being rounded up in China are:
Correct Response: D. Uighurs
3. The Trump Administration has indicated the President will not abide by the Congressional action under THIS law in the case of murdered Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi. The law provides for Congress to give the President 120 days to report on who was responsible for Khashoggi’s gruesome killing in October in Istanbul and as to whether the U.S. would impose sanctions on those responsible.
A. Global Magnitsky Act
B. The Corker Amendment
C. International Refuge Act
D. The Obama Doctrine
Correct Response: A. Global Magnitsky
4. The briefing by the Intelligence Community chiefs led by the Director of National Intelligence (DNI) to Congress on the annual “Worldwide Threat Assessment” was at variance with positions stated by President Donald Trump, who called them naïve and needing to “go back to school.” Who is the Director of National Intelligence?
A. Gina Haspel
B. Dan Coates
C. LtGen Robert P. Ashley
D. John Bolton
Correct Response: B. Dan Coates
5. British Prime Minister Theresa May travels to Brussels again on Monday. This follows a week of shuttling between the UK, Northern Ireland and Europe. She’s seeking changes to the current Brexit deal so that it’s acceptable to members in Parliament. THIS is the issue of concern.
A. EU-UK Free Trade Agreement
B. EU Fishing rights
C. Irish border backstop
D. The status of EU citizens in the UK post-Brexit
Correct Response: C. Irish border backstop
6. Russia and the United States vacated THIS 1987 treaty this week. The US has long accused Russia of violating THIS Cold War agreement.
A. Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) Treaty
B. Strategic Arms Limitations Treaty (SALT)
C. Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START)
D. Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty
Correct Response: D. Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty
7. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited the dispute state of Arunachal Pradesh drawing a rebuke from THIS country which claims the region. The dispute over this region in northeast India resulted in war between the countries in 1962 and visits by Indian leaders there remains contentious.
8. President Donald Trump said he would meet Chairman Kim Jong-un for a second time to discuss denuclearization of North Korea in THIS city.
Correct Response: C. Hanoi
9. THIS U.S.-backed group launched an attack on an Islamic State stronghold in eastern Syria on Saturday aiming to wrest control of the last of the militant group’s “caliphate.”
B. Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF)
C. Raqqa Liberation Force (RLB)
D. Sinjar Alliance (SA)
Correct Response: B. Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF)
10. The Ikea company has apologized for leaving THIS Oceanic nation off a map known as the BJÖRKSTA available in its stores. Apparently THIS country is left off maps so often there is an online registry of such occurrences known as the Maps Without (It) sub-Reddit.
C. Papua New Guinea
D. New Zealand
Correct Response: D. New Zealand
COPYRIGHT 2018, Tennessee World Affairs Council
We need and appreciate your support of
the World Affairs Council.
THANKS TO BELMONT UNIVERSITY’S CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
THANKS TO THE NASHVILLE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS COUNCIL
THANKS TO THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ PARTNERS
THE MISSION of the nonprofit, nonpartisan Tennessee World Affairs Council is to promote international awareness, understanding and connections to enhance the region’s global stature and to prepare Tennesseans to thrive in our increasingly complex and connected world.
THE VISION of the Tennessee World Affairs Council is a well-informed community that thinks critically about the world and the impact of global events.
Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org —