Don’t forget to sign up as a World Affairs Council member (TNWAC.org/join) to be eligible to win the monthly quiz prize.
***Alternate Link to Quiz***
QUIZ WINNERS FROM LAST WEEK
Patricia Miletich, Nashville, TN
Kelly O’Connor, Nashville, TN
Pete Griffin, Nashville, TN
David Hillinck, Huntsville, AL
Keith Simmons, Nashville, TN
Carlos Guerrero, Lawrenceville, GA
Yezzie Dospil, Nashville, TN
Charles Bowers, Nashville, TN
If you’re a weekly winner you’ll be entered for the monthly prize drawing but you must be a TNWAC member to win. TNWAC.org/join
COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME
FAMILY MEMBERSHIP FOR ONE YEAR
Includes all of the benefits listed below for TWO named adults and children ages 12 and under in your household plus TWO single-visit admission tickets for guests.
- SKIP THE LINE. Expedited gallery ticketing at the Information and Membership desks
- FREE admission to the Museum galleries and the Taylor Swift Education Center
- FREE admission to hundreds of Museum programs, including weekly songwriter sessions, instrument demonstrations, film screenings, and family activities
- FREE admission to the Poets and Prophets series, honoring legendary songwriters, and the Nashville Cats series, honoring legendary session musicians
- Member exclusive exhibit event and member appreciation concert The Big Gig
- DISCOUNTED tours of Historic RCA Studio B, home of 1,000 hits, and Hatch Show Print, Nashville’s legendary letterpress shop
- 10% DISCOUNT at The Museum Store, Circa, Hatch Show Print retail, and Two Twenty Two
- SUBSCRIPTION to Inside the Circle email newsletter and bi-monthly postcards
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
We’ll post the answers and the names of the winner(s) in next week’s quiz.
Here’s last week’s questions and answers:
WHAT IN THE WORLD? QUIZ
WEEK OF February 4-10, 2019
1. The Trump Administration pulled the trigger on the INF Treaty February 1st announcing it was withdrawing from the Cold War era agreement that banned the United States and Russia from THIS.
A. Land-based short and intermediate range nuclear cruise and ballistic missiles with ranges between 310-3420 miles.
B. More than 10 multiple independently targetable reentry vehicles on submarine launched ballistic missiles.
C. Sea-based short and intermediate range cruise missiles with nuclear payloads.
D. Development of space based anti-ballistic missile systems with nuclear warheads.
Correct Response: A. Land-based short and intermediate range nuclear cruise and ballistic missiles with ranges between 310-3420 miles.
2. President Trump said on Sunday that sending American military forces to this troubled country was an option, after Washington recognized the head of the national assembly as the rightful president.
A. Democratic Republic of Congo
C. South Sudan
Correct Response: D. Venezuela
3. President Trump told the press last week that progress was being made in trade talks with China. Both sides want an agreement that would avoid THIS.
A. An increase in tariffs on American aircraft sold to China to 35% by Beijing.
B. A return to consideration of the Trans Pacific Partnership negotiations by Washington.
C. A March 1st deadline when the U.S. would increase tariff rates from 10% to 25% on $200 billion worth of Chinese goods.
D. A cancellation of agricultural subsidies to American soybean growers.
Correct Response: C. A March 1st deadline when the U.S. would increase tariff rates from 10% to 25% on $200 billion worth of Chinese goods.
4. As the window for an agreement on terms for the UK’s departure from the EU close to under two months Prime Minister Theresa May insisted this week THAT:
A. She would seek a new referendum to consider overturning the 2016 Brexit decision.
B. She would reopen talks in Parliament to sign off on the Brexit deal.
C. She would deliver Brexit on time.
D. She would ask the European Union for a six-month extension for a Brexit deal.
Correct Response: C. She would deliver Brexit on time.
5. European nations have created a pathway for non-US dollar trade dealing between their countries and Iran called the Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) in order to do THIS.
A. Promote EU-Iranian trade in manufactured goods limited under Brexit.
B. Protect EU businesses from sanctions reinstated after President Trump axed the JCPOA.
C. Encourage new investment in Iran not hampered by the Euro-Rial exchange rates.
D. Create an economic regime that will protect EU investments in Iran from Chinese influence.
Correct Response: B. Protect EU businesses from sanctions reinstated after President Trump axed the JCPOA.
6. President Barham Salih of THIS country responded February 4th to President Donald Trump’s statement that the U.S. would use troops stationed there to “watch Iran.” Salid said, “The U.S. is a major power … but do not pursue your own policy priorities, we live here.” THIS country, not a member of the Gulf Cooperation Council is which of these?
D. Saudi Arabia
7. Nine major European nations — France, Spain, Germany, Britain, Portugal, Sweden, Denmark, Austria and the Netherlands – recognized this Venezuelan leader after expiration of an ultimatum for the sitting president to call new elections. The United States recognized THIS head of the national assembly as interim president last month.
A. Juan Guaido
B. Hugo Chavez
C. Pedro Sanchez
D. Nicolas Maduro
8. Pope Francis is on a three-day visit to THIS country, the first travel for a head of the Roman Catholic religion to the Arabian Peninsula.
A. Saudi Arabia
Correct Response: C. UAE
9. The United States is imposing visa restrictions on THIS country after it refused to accept 7,000 of its nations Washington sought to deport.
Correct Response: C. Ghana
10. The Lunar New Year celebrated in a number of countries is called the Spring Festival in China where it is marked by the largest human migration in the world. This new year the Chinese will be observing the year of WHICH one of these?
COPYRIGHT 2018, Tennessee World Affairs Council
We need and appreciate your support of
the World Affairs Council.
THANKS TO BELMONT UNIVERSITY’S CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
THANKS TO THE NASHVILLE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS COUNCIL
THANKS TO THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ PARTNERS
THE MISSION of the nonprofit, nonpartisan Tennessee World Affairs Council is to promote international awareness, understanding and connections to enhance the region’s global stature and to prepare Tennesseans to thrive in our increasingly complex and connected world.
THE VISION of the Tennessee World Affairs Council is a well-informed community that thinks critically about the world and the impact of global events.
Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org —