Don’t forget to sign up as a World Affairs Council member (TNWAC.org/join) to be eligible to win the monthly quiz prize.
***Alternate Link to Quiz***
QUIZ WINNERS FROM LAST WEEK
David Hillinck, Huntsville, AL
Keith Simmons, Nashville, TN
Patricia Miletich, Nashville, TN
David Wilson, Phoenix, AZ
Donald Dawson, Tulsa, OK
Carlos Bowers, Choluteca, Honduras
Graham Kettle, San Jose, CA
Brandon Darr, Bangkok, Thailand
If you’re a weekly winner you’ll be entered for the monthly prize drawing but you must be a TNWAC member to win. TNWAC.org/join
COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME
FAMILY MEMBERSHIP FOR ONE YEAR
Includes all of the benefits listed below for TWO named adults and children ages 12 and under in your household plus TWO single-visit admission tickets for guests.
- SKIP THE LINE. Expedited gallery ticketing at the Information and Membership desks
- FREE admission to the Museum galleries and the Taylor Swift Education Center
- FREE admission to hundreds of Museum programs, including weekly songwriter sessions, instrument demonstrations, film screenings, and family activities
- FREE admission to the Poets and Prophets series, honoring legendary songwriters, and the Nashville Cats series, honoring legendary session musicians
- Member exclusive exhibit event and member appreciation concert The Big Gig
- DISCOUNTED tours of Historic RCA Studio B, home of 1,000 hits, and Hatch Show Print, Nashville’s legendary letterpress shop
- 10% DISCOUNT at The Museum Store, Circa, Hatch Show Print retail, and Two Twenty Two
- SUBSCRIPTION to Inside the Circle email newsletter and bi-monthly postcards
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
We’ll post the answers and the names of the winner(s) in next week’s quiz.
Here’s last week’s questions and answers:
WHAT IN THE WORLD? QUIZ
WEEK OF February 4-10, 2019
1. THIS American envoy, former US Ambassador to the UN, Afghanistan and Iraq, announced a peace deal framework with Taliban officials was reached, saying, “The Taliban have committed, to our satisfaction, to do what is necessary that would prevent Afghanistan from ever becoming a platform for international terrorist groups or individuals.”
A. Ryan Crocker
B. Karl Eikenberry
C. Samantha Power
D. Zalmay Khalilzad
Correct Response: D. Zalmay Khalilzad
2. The United States announced its support for THIS opposition leader, president of the National Assembly in Venezuela, launching a showdown with strongman Nicolas Maduro who retaliated by ordering a break of diplomatic relations and the expulsion of American diplomats.
A. Juan Guaido
B. Hugo Chavez
C. Marco Rubio
D. Rafael Correa
Correct Response: A. Juan Guaido
3. THIS was the theme at last week’s 2019 World Economic Forum at Davos.
A. Climate and Economy
B. Global Recession Paradigm
C. Globalization 4.0
D. Economic Bloc Devolution
Correct Response: C. Globalization 4.0
4. The Trump Administration on Sunday lifted sanctions imposed against Russian holdings including the business empire of THIS oligarch who had connections to convicted Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort.
A. Konstantin Kilimnik
B. Oleg Deripaska
C. Maria Valeryevna Butina
D. Natalia Veselnitskaya
Correct Response: B. Oleg Deripaska
5. A key sticking point in passing a Brexit deal in London is the “Backstop.” This week Boris Johnson said Prime Minister May could insert a “Freedom Clause” into the Brexit deal to remove the Backstop without EU agreement. What is the “Backstop”?
A. A provision to maintain open border status for London financial houses across the EU after the March 29th exit.
B. The United Kingdom’s continuation in NATO.
C. A position of last resort to maintain an open border on the island of Ireland in the event the UK leaves the EU without securing an all-encompassing deal.
D. A position to extend the status quo for one-year pending agreement on unresolved exit issues.
Correct Response: C. A position of last resort to maintain an open border on the island of Ireland in the event the UK leaves the EU without securing an all-encompassing deal.
6. The United Nations envoy to Yemen called on the Saudi-backed government of Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi and Iranian-backed Houthi rebels to act on a December agreement to withdraw forces from THIS embattled port city, the lifeline of humanitarian aid to Yemenis facing starvation.
D. Bab el Mandeb
7. Canadian PM Trudeau fired his Ambassador to China after the diplomat said an executive of THIS company could make a strong case against extradition to the United States, where she is sought for violating sanctions on Iran. The case has caused a firestorm of rhetoric and detentions between Ottawa and Beijing.
8. Twenty people were killed and over 100 wounded in a bombing in Jolo, a stronghold of the Abu Sayyaf separatist group with ties to ISIS and Al Qaeda, in THIS country.
9. Commemorations on Sunday’s World Holocaust Memorial Day at the death camp Auschwitz were marred by the first-ever protest march by ultra-nationalists. The Nazis murdered about one million Jews and 150,000 non-Jewish Poles at Auschwitz which is located in THIS country.
B. Czech Republic
Correct Response: D. Poland
10. New York Yankees’ ace relief pitcher Mariano Rivera was the first player to be voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame with a unanimous vote of 425 baseball writers. Rivera who said, “After my career, I was thinking that I had a shot to be a Hall of Famer,” is from THIS country.
A. Dominican Republic
Correct Response: C. Panama
COPYRIGHT 2018, Tennessee World Affairs Council
We need and appreciate your support of
the World Affairs Council.
THANKS TO BELMONT UNIVERSITY’S CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
THANKS TO THE NASHVILLE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS COUNCIL
THANKS TO THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ PARTNERS
THE MISSION of the nonprofit, nonpartisan Tennessee World Affairs Council is to promote international awareness, understanding and connections to enhance the region’s global stature and to prepare Tennesseans to thrive in our increasingly complex and connected world.
THE VISION of the Tennessee World Affairs Council is a well-informed community that thinks critically about the world and the impact of global events.
Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org —