Don’t forget to sign up as a World Affairs Council member (TNWAC.org/join) to be eligible to win the monthly quiz prize.
***Alternate Link to Quiz***
QUIZ WINNERS FROM LAST WEEK
Charles Bowers, Choluteca, Honduras
Jason Hicks, Cookeville, TN
David Hillinck, Huntsville, AL
Carlos Guerrero, Lawrenceville, GA
Jacob Williams, Franklin, TN
If you’re a weekly winner you’ll be entered for the monthly prize drawing but you must be a TNWAC member to win. TNWAC.org/join
JANUARY 2019 MONTHLY QUIZ PRIZE WINNER
Bailey Sims, Nashville, TN
Fortune Cookie Chronicles by Jennifer 8. Lee
COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME
FAMILY MEMBERSHIP FOR ONE YEAR
Includes all of the benefits listed below for TWO named adults and children ages 12 and under in your household plus TWO single-visit admission tickets for guests.
- SKIP THE LINE. Expedited gallery ticketing at the Information and Membership desks
- FREE admission to the Museum galleries and the Taylor Swift Education Center
- FREE admission to hundreds of Museum programs, including weekly songwriter sessions, instrument demonstrations, film screenings, and family activities
- FREE admission to the Poets and Prophets series, honoring legendary songwriters, and the Nashville Cats series, honoring legendary session musicians
- Member exclusive exhibit event and member appreciation concert The Big Gig
- DISCOUNTED tours of Historic RCA Studio B, home of 1,000 hits, and Hatch Show Print, Nashville’s legendary letterpress shop
- 10% DISCOUNT at The Museum Store, Circa, Hatch Show Print retail, and Two Twenty Two
- SUBSCRIPTION to Inside the Circle email newsletter and bi-monthly postcards
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
We’ll post the answers and the names of the winner(s) in next week’s quiz.
Here’s last week’s questions and answers:
WHAT IN THE WORLD? QUIZ
WEEK OF JAN 21-27, 2019
1. After failing to get approval for the Brexit deal in the British Parliament PM Theresa May did not rule out an extension of the process set in motion under THIS arrangement.
A. Chapter 5 of the Atlantic Charter
B. Sixth Amendment to the European Economic Community Compact
C. Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union
D. The Second Treaty of Maastricht
Correct Response: C. Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union
2. Which headline best characterizes China’s economy based on reporting this week?
A. China set to post slowest growth in 28 years in 2018, more stimulus seen
B. China growth bests 2018 forecast but slowdown signals worry
C. Slow growth ignites aggressive Beijing economic stimulus
D. Slow China growth does little to deflect global economic gains
Correct Response: A. China set to post slowest growth in 28 years in 2018, more stimulus seen
3. The Arab Economic and Social Development summit in Beirut called on global support to repatriate many of the 5.6 million Syrians who have fled their homes mainly to Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt and Iraq. WHICH country does not share a land border with Syria?
4. London’s Brexit mess has produced frustrations that resulted in UK Prime Minister May’s office warning against THIS prospect.
A. Scotland’s Parliament taking up a “devolution” referendum initiative to separate from the UK.
B. The government in Dublin opening a review of the “Good Friday Agreement” to pressure the UK against a “hard border” between the Republic and Northern Ireland.
C. A group of cross party MPs taking the initiative in Parliament to block the Withdrawal Bill and block a “no-deal” Brexit.
D. An initiative among EU leaders, Merkel and Macron, to reopen Brexit terms negotiations with London.
Correct Response: C. A group of cross party MPs taking the initiative in Parliament to block the Withdrawal Bill and block a “no-deal” Brexit.
5. THIS country’s President signed a decree this week loosening restrictions on gun ownership. There are an estimated 600,000 registered guns, but millions are smuggled illegally throughout the country. A pollster reports that 61% of citizens think guns should be outlawed as they represent a threat to human life.
B. South Africa
D. El Salvador
Correct Response: C. Brazil
6. As the standoff between the US President and Congress continues over a border wall, a US 2018 Drug Enforcement Administration report the majority of the heroin sold in the United States is channeled through legal entrances, and only a small percentage is moved “between ports of entry.” Court testimonies in THIS person’s trial provide further evidence that a physical barrier, whether it’s fencing, steel slats or a concrete wall, would probably not stop drug trafficking.
A. Roberto Suárez Gómez
B. Nemesio Oseguera Cervantes
C. Pablo Escobar
D. Joaquín Guzmán
Correct Response: D. Joaquín Guzmán
7. Al-Shabab, a militant group based in Somalia and linked to al-Qaeda, has asserted responsibility for an attack that killed at least 21 people at a luxury hotel compound in Nairobi, Kenya. THIS was the reason cited.
A. Retaliation to the Kenya Defense Force’s incursions in Somalia.
B. A “response” to US recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
C. Retaliation for Kenyan negative media coverage of their activities.
D. A response to Kenyan reprisals against its Muslim population.
Correct Response: B. A response” to US recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel
8. The prospects for talks between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe about giving some portion of THESE disputed island spurred demonstrations in Moscow with one placard reading, “We’ll hand over Putin rather than…”
A. Aleutian Islands
B. Kuril Islands
C. Kamchatka Islands
D. Senkaku Islands
Correct Response: B. Kuril Islands
9. North Korean nuclear envoy Kim Yong Chol was in Washington last week for talks with U.S. counterparts that resulted in THIS.
A. Secretary of State Pompeo announced a new round of “Five Party” talks on Korean Peninsula denuclearization.
B. Acting Defense Secretary Shanahan announced the spring time round of U.S.-South Korean military drills were postponed as a gesture of American good faith in future North-South talks.
C. President Trump said he would meet Kim Jong Un in February.
D. Energy Secretary Rick Perry announced a delegation of U.S. nuclear inspectors would travel to North Korean in March for consultations.
Correct Response: C. President Trump said he would meet Kim Jong Un in February.
10. As a consequence of the U.S. government shutdown the Trump Administration announced its delegation to the World Economic Forum was cancelling its participation. The event is held at THIS place.
A. The Hague
D. Rio de Janiero
Correct Response: B. Davos-Klosters
COPYRIGHT 2018, Tennessee World Affairs Council
We need and appreciate your support of
the World Affairs Council.
THANKS TO BELMONT UNIVERSITY’S CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
THANKS TO THE NASHVILLE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS COUNCIL
THANKS TO THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ PARTNERS
THE MISSION of the nonprofit, nonpartisan Tennessee World Affairs Council is to promote international awareness, understanding and connections to enhance the region’s global stature and to prepare Tennesseans to thrive in our increasingly complex and connected world.
THE VISION of the Tennessee World Affairs Council is a well-informed community that thinks critically about the world and the impact of global events.
Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org —