Don’t forget to sign up as a World Affairs Council member (TNWAC.org/join) to be eligible to win the monthly quiz prize.
***Alternate Link to Quiz***
QUIZ WINNERS FROM LAST WEEK
Ryan Sachs, Nashville, TN
Charles Bowers, Nashville, TN
David Hillinck, Huntsville, AL
If you’re a weekly winner you’ll be entered for the monthly prize drawing but you must be a TNWAC member to win. TNWAC.org/join
JANUARY 2019 MONTHLY QUIZ PRIZE
Fortune Cookie Chronicles by Jennifer 8. Lee
If you think McDonald’s is the most ubiquitous restaurant experience in America, consider that there are more Chinese restaurants in America than McDonalds, Burger Kings, and Wendy’s combined. Former New York Times reporter and Chinese-American (or American-born Chinese). In her search, Jennifer 8. Lee traces the history of Chinese-American experience through the lens of the food. In a compelling blend of sociology and history, Jenny Lee exposes the indentured servitude Chinese restaurants expect from illegal immigrant chefs, investigates the relationship between Jews and Chinese food, and weaves a personal narrative about her own relationship with Chinese food. The Fortune Cookie Chronicles speaks to the immigrant experience as a whole, and the way it has shaped our country.
TED Talk – “The Hunt for General Two” with Jennifer 8. Lee [Here]
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
We’ll post the answers and the names of the winner(s) in next week’s quiz.
Here’s last week’s questions and answers:
WHAT IN THE WORLD? QUIZ
WEEK OF JAN 7-13, 2019
1. Due to security concerns from drone activity which caused massive delays during the Christmas holiday at THESE two airports, military grade anti-drone defenses were purchased.
A. Beauvais and Charles de Gaulle.
B. Leonardo da Vinci and Ciampino.
C. John F. Kennedy and La Guardia.
D. Gatwick and Heathrow.
Correct Response: D. Gatwick and Heathrow.
2. An air strike launched by the United States killed Jamal al-Badawi, an al-Qaeda militant commander, in Yemen on January 1st. Badawi was indicted by a U.S. grand jury in 2003 for his role in THIS attack on Americans.
A. The 1998 bombings of American embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.
B. The 1996 bombing of the Khobar Tower dormitory housing US Air Force personnel.
C. The 2000 bombing of the USS Cole in Aden.
D. The 1995 bombing of a US military office in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Correct Response: C. The 2000 bombing of the USS Cole in Aden.
3. National Security Advisor John Bolton said that there were new conditions following President Trump’s surprise announcement to withdraw U.S. troops deployed to Syria. THIS is the new condition attached to a short term pullout.
A. Russia must agree to continue the effort the U.S. had brought to eliminating the ISIS threat from Syrian territory.
B. Iran must agree to withdraw its Republican Guards militia forces from Syria.
C. Syria must guarantee to stop Iranian military materials from being transshipped to Hezbollah militia forces in Lebanon.
D. Turkey must agree that Kurdish forces in Syria that fought alongside Americans must be protected.
Correct Response: D. Turkey must agree that Kurdish forces in Syria that fought alongside Americans must be protected.
4. Newly inaugurated President Jair Bolsonaro issued an executive order on Wednesday making the Agriculture Ministry in THIS country responsible for “identification, delimitation, demarcation and registration of lands traditionally occupied by indigenous people,” allowing agribusiness to work on native peoples’ lands. Though it’s a temporary order and if not ratified within 120 days it will expire. What country is THIS?
5. The United Nations on Friday called for an independent and impartial investigation into the Dec. 30 election in THIS country amid accusations of violence and voting irregularities. Prime Minister Sheikha Hasina was voted into office for her third consecutive term as head of THIS nation.
Correct Response: C. Bangladesh
6. In THIS country a nationwide strike by the country’s doctors is now into its second month because they want better pay, working conditions while the country faces severe dollar shortages and spiraling inflation.
7. Parliament in Britain is set to vote on Prime Minister Theresa May’s Brexit plan around January 15th. The proposal faces strong cross winds outside and within her Conservative party among those who want to change the deal, delay it or reverse the Brexit process altogether. What are the likely consequences of defeat of May’s Brexit plan vote?
A. The United Kingdom will have a second “Exit” referendum in February.
B. The United Kingdom will leave the European Union on March 29th without a deal.
C. The vote will signal no-confidence in Prime Minister May will she will resign.
D. The United Kingdom will invoke Article 22 of the EU Charter to cancel the “Exit” process.
Correct Response: B. The United Kingdom will leave the European Union on March 29th without a deal.
8. THIS country has replaced Italy as the destination of choice for migrants crossing the Mediterranean to Europe according to European Union published estimates this week.
9. President Trump told reporters Sunday Beijing was motivated to make a trade deal given the weakness of the Chinese economy. His statement came as THIS latest development in the trade war took place.
A. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross announced new tariffs on $100 billion worth of goods.
B. U.S. and Chinese trade negotiators started the first talks since a 90-day trade war truce.
C. Beijing said it plans to shut down its International Intellectual Property Protection Agency.
D. The new Democrat Chairman of the House International Relations Committee scheduled hearings on the Trump Administration’s China tariff policies.
Correct Response: B. U.S. and Chinese trade negotiators started the first talks since a 90-day trade war truce.
10. “Aquaman” is poised to make a billion dollars for it’s on-screen portrayal of a classic DC character. The director was born in THIS country.
B. South Africa
D. New Zealand
Correct Response: A. Malaysia
COPYRIGHT 2018, Tennessee World Affairs Council
We need and appreciate your support of
the World Affairs Council.
THANKS TO BELMONT UNIVERSITY’S CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
THANKS TO THE NASHVILLE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS COUNCIL
THANKS TO THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ PARTNERS
THE MISSION of the nonprofit, nonpartisan Tennessee World Affairs Council is to promote international awareness, understanding and connections to enhance the region’s global stature and to prepare Tennesseans to thrive in our increasingly complex and connected world.
THE VISION of the Tennessee World Affairs Council is a well-informed community that thinks critically about the world and the impact of global events.
Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org —