Check your global affairs awareness with these ten questions taken from the week’s news reports.
Click on image for Quiz
Keep up with global current events by following the World Affairs Council on Twitter @TNWAC. #TNWACquiz
QUIZ WINNERS FROM LAST WEEK
Janice Rodriguez, Nashville, TN
Patricia Miletich, Nashville, TN
Hiro Ito, Nashville, TN
Marcus Murphy, Chattanooga, TN
Patricia Paiva, Nashville, VA
Yedla Pratik, Huntsville, AL
Yezzie Dospil, Nashville, TN
Charles Bowers, Nashville, TN
LAST WEEKS QUESTIONS/ANSWERS BELOW
Congratulations to this month’s prize winner:
Patricia Paiva, Nashville, TN
NOVEMBER PRIZE FOR WHAT IN THE WORLD? WEEKLY QUIZ WINNER
INSIDE THE MIRAGE: AMERICA’S
FRAGILE PARTNERSHIP WITH SAUDI ARABIA
SIGNED BY AUTHOR THOMAS W. LIPPMAN
TN WAC APRIL 2016 DISTINGUISHED VISITING SPEAKER
The relationship between the United States and Saudi Arabia has always been a marriage of convenience, not affection. In a bargain cemented by President Roosevelt and Saudi Arabia’s founding king in 1945, Americans gained access to Saudi oil, and the Saudis responded with purchases of American planes, weapons, construction projects and know-how that brought them modernization, education, and security. The marriage has suited both sides. But how long can it last?In Inside the Mirage, journalist and Middle East expert Thomas W. Lippman shows that behind the cheerful picture of friendship and alliance, there is a darker tale. With so much at stake, this compelling account looks at the relationship between these two countries, and their future with one another. — AMAZON.COM
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
We’ll post the answers and the names of the winner(s) on Wednesday afternoon
We need and appreciate your support of
the World Affairs Council.
“WHAT IN THE WORLD?” WEEKLY QUIZ
OCT 30-NOV 5, 2016
1. A 6.6 magnitude earthquake, the fourth in three months, hit which nation this week?
2. Citing security concerns, the government of which nation fired 10,000 civil servants and shut down 15 media outlets, all suspected of having links to terrorist organizations, or of having participated in July’s coup d’état?
3. The Pirate Party, founded in 2012 by Internet activists, fell short of expectations in which country’s general election?
A. United Kingdom
4. A labor tribunal in the UK has ruled that persons employed by which company are indeed, employees, and not independent contractors, as the company claimed?
C. Air BnB
5. An influence-peddling scandal surrounding the President of South Korea, has caused top aides to resign. Who is the President of South Korea?
A. Lee Myung-bak
B. Park Geun-hye
C. Kim Jung Un
D. Roh Moo-hyun
6. Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte vowed this week to stop doing what?
B. Seeking out alliances with China and Russia
D. Allowing extrajudicial killings
7. Twenty-four nations and the European Union agreed to make the Ross Sea the largest marine sanctuary in the world: Where is the Ross Sea located?
A. Between Europe and Africa
C. Between Europe and North America
8. Pope Francis traveled to Sweden this week to kick off a year-long celebration marking the 500th anniversary of which event that rocked the Catholic Church?
A. The beginning of the Inquisition
B. The fall of Constantinople
C. The Protestant Reformation
D. The schism with the Greek Orthodox Church
9. France and the UK are currently disputing what should be done with 1,500 minors after the dismantlement this week of “The Jungle,” a large migrant camp in which French city?
10. After ten months of deadlock, Mariano Rajoy got approval from lawmakers to form a minority government in which country?
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER @TNWAC
THANKS TO THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ PARTNERS
THANKS TO THE SPONSORS OF THE TENNESSEE
ACADEMIC WORLDQUEST PROGRAM – FEDEX
The Tennessee World Affairs Council is a nonprofit (501c3), nonpartisan educational charity based in Nashville that works to build understanding of global issues in our communities. Learn more about the Council and find how you can join, donate and volunteer at: www.TNWAC.org —