Don’t forget to JOIN as a World Affairs Council member (TNWAC.org/join) to be eligible to win the monthly quiz prize.
Check your global affairs awareness with these ten questions taken from the week’s news reports provided via @TNWAC #TNWACquiz.
QUIZ WINNERS FROM LAST WEEK
Anthony Campanella, Avola, Italy
Jane Dillard-Eggers, Brentwood, Tennessee
Patricia Miletich, Nashville, Tennessee
Kathy Ingleson, Nashville, Tennessee
Carlos Ruiz, Fort Myers, Florida
Carlos Guerrero, Suwanee, Georgia
Charles Bowers, Nashville, Tennessee
Rachel Pirani, Collierville, Tennessee
Kat Hendrick, Nashville, Tennessee
Pete Griffin, Nashville, Tennessee
David Hillinck, Huntsville, Alabama
(If you’re a weekly winner you’ll be entered for the monthly prize drawing but you must be a TNWAC member to win. TNWAC.org/join )
JULY 2018 MONTHLY PRIZE
“Us vs. Them: The Failure of Globalism”
by Ian Bremmer
“Required reading to help repair a world in pieces and build a world at peace.”
— António Guterres, United Nations Secretary-General
“The best book yet on the waves Donald Trump rode to power. Ian Bremmer is right that rage and scorn are not plans. He provides good practical ideas for what can be done.”
—Lawrence Summers, professor at Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government and former director or the National Economic Council
“Few can beat Ian Bremmer in taking the pulse on the health of nations and the world. Here he dives into the divisions and disputes of the wave of protests and populism that gave the US Donald Trump and Europe Brexit.”
—Carl Bildt, co-chair of European Council on Foreign Relations
“My favorite thinker on geopolitics offers a masterful analysis of why globalism crashed and populism has soared. This book won’t just help you predict the future of nations; it will play a role in shaping that future.”
—Adam Grant, author of Give and Take, Originals, and Option B with Sheryl Sandberg
“A crisp and compelling anatomy of present political ills across many countries. Bremmer’s discussion of global approaches to revising the social contract between government and citizen offers a welcome ray of light.”
—Anne-Marie Slaughter, president & CEO of New America
“Global politics is a jungle today. Thank goodness Ian Bremmer can be your guide.”
—David Miliband, president and CEO of the International Rescue Committee
“Once again, Ian Bremmer provides a striking preview of tomorrow’s top stories. A timely warning, but also a source of hope, Us vs. Them is required reading for those worried about our world’s future.”
—Nouriel Roubini, author of Crisis Economics; professor at New York University’s Stern School of Business; chairman of Roubini Macro Associates
“Ian Bremmer is provocative, controversial, and always intelligent about the state of our world, which he knows so well!”
—Christine Lagarde, Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF)
About the Author
Ian Bremmer is the president and founder of Eurasia Group, the leading global political risk research and consulting firm. He has published ten books, including Superpower and the national bestsellers The End of the Free Market and Every Nation for Itself. He lectures widely and writes a weekly foreign affairs column for TIME magazine, where he’s editor at large. He lives in New York City.
To get in on the quiz make sure you’re getting TNWAC emails (here’s the free subscription link: http://eepurl.com/gt6dn) and make sure you’re following @TNWAC on Twitter.
We’ll post the answers and the names of the winner(s) in next week’s quiz.
Here’s last week’s questions and answers:
WHAT IN THE WORLD? QUIZ
Week of July 22-28, 2018
1. President Trump met Russian President Putin in Helsinki last week following all of these events EXCEPT:
A. A meeting of the NATO heads of state in Brussels, Belguim.
B. A visit to a golf resort in Scotland.
C. A head of state visit to England to meet Prime Minister May and Queen Elizabeth.
D. A visit to Rome to meet with Pope Francis.
Correct Response: D. A visit to Rome to meet with Pope Francis.
2. President Trump’s comments at the Helsinki Summit on Monday kicked off a tsunami of accusations from both sides of the political divide about his obeisance to Russian President Vladimir Putin. Especially incendiary were his remarks concerning THIS:
A. His offer to hand over former American diplomats for questioning.
B. His contention that Montenegro might incite World War III.
C. His statement that the European Union was a foe of the U.S. in some respects.
D. His faith in the U.S. Intelligence Community versus President Putin’s denials of meddling.
Correct Response: D. His faith in the U.S. Intelligence Community versus President Putin’s denials of meddling.
3. With nine months to go until “Brexit” the British government is in crisis over how the separation from the EU will be handled. No plan has been agreed to and the ruling Conservative party is in the midst of cabinet resignations and infighting. Prime Minister May had won agreement within her party for “soft” departure from the EU but subsequent support for that plan has fallen apart. That plan is called:
A. The Birmingham White Paper
B. The 20-Point Plan
C. The Chequers Plan
D. A Separate Unity Proposal
Correct Response: C. The Chequers Plan
4. Over 400 “White Helmets” – a volunteer guard force that protected civilians in Syrian war zones – and family members were evacuated from Syria by THIS country.
Correct Response: B. Israel
5. Foreign Minister Lavrov said charges in the US against a woman arrested as being an agent of Russia were fabricated and she should be released. The woman was accused of infiltrating U.S. political institutions on behalf of Russian intelligence. Her name is:
A. Martina Navratalova
B. Maria Butina
C. Marina Oswald
D. Maria Ivanov
Correct Response: B. Maria Butina
6. “I’m ready to go to 500,” said President Trump in reference to this action.
A. The Pentagon proposal to increase U.S. defense spending to $500 billion in FY 2019.
B. A new limit on the number of U.S. troops deployed inside Syria.
C. The threat to impose sanctions on all $500 billion of imports from China.
D. The upper limit of funds committed to the southern U.S. border wall, $500 million.
Correct Response: C. The threat to impose sanctions on all $500 billion of imports from China.
7. The President of Iran warned U.S. President Trump about hostile action against Tehran in a meeting with diplomats this week. It followed reports Washington has launched a propaganda campaign against the regime. He said, “America should know that peace with Iran is the mother of all peace, and war with Iran is the mother of all wars.” Who is the President of Iran?
A. Ali Khamenei
B. Hassan Rouhani
C. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
D. Salman Rushdie
Correct Response: B. Hassan Rouhani
8. THIS organization – the “premier forum” for its members economic cooperation – concluded its finance ministers meeting with a communiqué that warned about rising trade tensions warning about, “…rising financial vulnerabilities, heightened trade and geopolitical tensions, global imbalances, inequality and structurally weak growth, particularly in some advanced economies.”
A. Group of Twenty
B. Group of Eight
C. European Commission
9. Thirteen Latin America countries have called for an immediate end of repression and violence from paramilitary and government forces in Nicaragua that has resulted in over 300 killed in recent months. Protesters are opposed to the rule of THIS leader.
A. Violeta Chamorro
B. Daniel Ortega
C. Enrique Bolanos
D. Arnoldo Aleman
Correct Response: B. Daniel Ortega
10. Chinese President Xi Jinping began a tour of Africa in Senegal where he reaffirmed Beijing’s economic ties with Africa. Xi is visiting the continent as part of his planned participation in a summit of the “BRICS” countries. The “BRICS” countries include China and all of these EXCEPT:
D. South Africa
Correct Response: C. Indonesia
COPYRIGHT 2018, Tennessee World Affairs Council
We need and appreciate your support of
the World Affairs Council.
SUPPORT OF TNWAC’S EDUCATION OUTREACH
THANKS TO BELMONT UNIVERSITY’S CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
THANKS TO THE AWC FAMILY FOUNDATION
THANKS TO THE NASHVILLE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS COUNCIL
THANKS TO THE TNWAC WEEKLY QUIZ PARTNERS